Another local ATV 4-wheeler death...

Spookwriter

Crowing
9 Years
Feb 23, 2010
Ohio
Seems like an all to common occurance this year.
Five, six young people killed this summer so far.
A fourteen year old boy today.

Is it happening in your area too, or is it just here?
Are they bigger, more powerful, faster than they used
to be?

I don't have one and I don't want one. Golf cart is fast enough.

But my daughters friends have them. To be exact, their parents
have them. My daughter has riden WITH the parents. Now she
thinks she needs one.

I hate to be the bad guy, but as her father I have a major problem
with her having one of her own.

So I'm asking other parents...how far do you allow your young children
to fly? She's an 11 year old, and I really like her alot. Spoiled. But being
athletic and coordinated isn't words I would use to describe her. Girly,
book worm...but not a rider.

Last edited:
As her parent, you are responsible for her. If you dont want her to be hurt or killed by crashing one of these vehicles, don't let her on them. She will complain, sure, but better sad than dead!

I've ridden bikes sense I was tottling, get her a little dinky hand me down racer. See is she is ready for the real thing. The little racers don't go much faster than a golf cart. And all the people getting killed? It's because they don'r know how to drive it properly. I've had a four-wheeler all my life and have only been in one accident, while my dad was driving. So, if she can handle the racer, I say go for it.

We taught our son how to ride at a very early age...2 to be exact....just like hunting...I would rather he learn the right way by his father and I than someone else who may not know as much.....just my thoughts...my son now races and loves it at the age of 26:) I watch him and love it! He is so "one" with his quad......I wish I had that control with mine...
smile.png
I still hold my breath once in a while don't get me wrong....but I have to trust him:)

Quote:
My grandson started driving when he was 2 years old. Started on a riding mower without a blade. He's had a go cart that he drove way to fast and we had to keep turing it down to slow him down but he found out how to turn it back up. We sold it before he got hurt. He's 10 now and can drive a car. Of course not by himself, always an adult in the car and always on low traffic country roads. This year he was on the back of an ATV just after the flood waters receeded near the Mississippi river. There was a (so called) adult with them. He dared the boys to climb a very steep muddy hill. Told them they where sissys if they didn't. So they did. My grandson was in the hospital for a week. The driver didn't get hurt. Meanwhile the "adult" didn't even attempt to go up the hill. He just sat there and watched them crash. Then wouldn't even drive my grandson back to get help.

Thats how accidents happen. Irresponsible adults, dare devil children, lack of saftey gear, inexperienced drivers. I know accidents happen but some can be avoided.

It all comes down to trust. My parents trust me to ride one and so far I have not been hurt, I'm not the safest, but the main thing is knowing how to use it. I don't just ride them, they are actually a huge help for carrying feed and water. Plus I can pull a 12ft. trailer with one, if used right they are fun and useful. People get killed because they don't know how to use them. If you are just riding around the yard slowly it is fairly safe. But some of the trails shouldn't be called a trail. The people who get killed are not responsible, most are drunk. If the person on it is responsible they can be safe.

I have had four wheelers before. Even dirt bikes and road bikes.
Pretty much anything with wheels and a motor.

Had my fair share of wrecks. On the road and off.

I can ride. My wife...not so much.

So I sold the four wheelers because of her. I love her enough
to not let her operate something she can't ride.

The learning curve can be costly.

A price I can't pay.

* As a child in my time, we had dirt bikes, minibikes, bicycles. There
were four of us. Three boys and a girl. Younger brother and my sister
both had dirt bike wrecks requiring emergency squads and hospital
stays.

Two children injured, my dad had had enough.

He sold them all for $10.00 and considered it a good deal.

It's a price I can't pay.

Quote:
Thats not always true at all. My brother rode ATV's all his life...and he KNEW how to ride.
One day something went wrong and (i'm not sure what happend)... but he flipped and the thing came down full on his face... smashed his jaw to pieces..cracked the helmet and sliced his face wide open to the bone too..
Hes lucky hes alive. And young man, my brother KNEW how to ride. He'd been riding since he was a young boy.
So what you say simply isnt true. Accidents DO happen.
Just be careful...
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom