another name for hardware cloth?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dftkarin, Jul 3, 2008.

  1. dftkarin

    dftkarin Songster

    Jun 27, 2008
    I'm trying to figure out how much various fencing options will cost - chicken wire, poultry netting, hardware cloth, etc... but when I search online at or other online places - I can't find what I'm looking for - so I wonder if they call it by another name? Is there a place to find it cheaper than the hardware store? Should I get galvenized?
  2. patandchickens

    patandchickens Flock Mistress

    Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    yes, you need galvanized (assuming this is for outdoors). or plastic-coated, if it happens to be available to you. But if the latter make CERTAIN it is strong-gauge wire inside of the plastic coating, because there are also all-plastic meshes out there that a predator can rip through.

    it may simply be called 1/4" or 1/2" welded wire mesh. The word 'welded' may or may not appear in the name, actually.

    Good luck,

  3. okiemommy

    okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

    May 26, 2008
    I have run into the same problem. I would call around all of the stores that you are willing to travel to in your area and do a price comparison. I read a thread on here a while back from someone that did that, and she said that there were very different prices on hardware cloth. By doing it that way she was able to easily compare prices, and get the best deal. Tractor Supply, Lumber 2, Lowes, Home Depot, and local feed stores would be good places to call. They should know what hardware cloth is, if not ask for someone else to help you. As for other names, I'm not really sure if there are other names, I just know that I can't find it listed as hardware cloth on the internet either, but can find it easily in the stores under that name. hth
  4. MrGreenJeans

    MrGreenJeans In the Brooder

    Jun 10, 2008
    I've also noticed the Home Depot site is a little particular when you do searches. Since hardware cloth is not available for online purchase, most of the time it won't show up.

    If you enter in a zip code to set up a "your store" then it will attempt to check the in store inventory, and generally it will show up under a hardware cloth search IF one of your local stores has it available.
  5. mylilchix

    mylilchix Songster

    Home Depot does have hardware cloth. I'm wondering if anyone has used the Tenax plastic fence? Home Depot carries it, and it seems like it'd make a good run cover. I'm just afraid critters could chew through it.

  6. coffeelady3

    coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

    Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I couldn't find it online either, but it was at the store. They have it back with all the chain link fencing.
  7. Oblio13

    Oblio13 Songster

    Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I did. It was so easy to work with, and it looked beautiful. Took about two days for the squirrels to chew holes through it in several places.
  8. mylilchix

    mylilchix Songster

    Hmmm, that's what I was afraid of. Guess we'll stick to the regular chicken wire or hardware cloth.

  9. gryeyes

    gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

    I used the Tenax plastic fencing stuff as an additional layer, more of a clue to my beloved dogs that the fence is there for a reason. The casual observer would see the fence and know, yup, there's a fence there.

    Probably sounds stupid, but it makes ME feel better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: