Another question on electricity in the coop

MarieNC

Songster
9 Years
May 10, 2010
Right now our coop to be isn't going to be wired for electricity but I saw an electric pop up door that I would like to install in the coop. Does anyone just run an extension cord from the house to the coop? I'm wondering if having a cord in the shed would be dangerous to the chickens at all. We will have it wired eventually. Thanks for letting me ask the dumb questions.

You should run an underground rated cable (12/3) wiring to the coop from your home on it's own breaker(fuse). No extension cords!

It's not that difficult and should not require an electrician, unless......the DH doesn't know how to do it.

Last year, I ran heat lamps in my coops......with these heavy duty extension cords.....because winter got so rought--it was my first winter. Anyhow, nobody burned down or anything, but I'm sure it's not the best idea.

My hubby took a house wiring class, and so now he's digging a ditch and putting conduit in it with electrical wires running through because I got a new coop that is all set up for electricity. So he's getting that stuff done before fall for me so that my chickens can be warm in the winter time and we won't have frozen water.

OH, the door thingy is a great idea!

I did the extension cord thing for a closed oil radiator when it was REALLY cold - had it in a wire cage so the girls didn't get up on it and burn their feets.

For lighting, there are really neat solar lights - with on/off switches as well as motion sensors and photo eyes so they don't come on in the day time. It's really easy to put the solar panel on top of the roof and the light right inside. No wiring from the house.

Back
Top Bottom