1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

another silkie question :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by ercky&perky, Sep 19, 2008.

1. ercky&perky

ercky&perky In the Brooder

Sep 6, 2008
    alberta
    I was wondering if silkies make good free rangers in the summer???and if they do well with temperature changes?? hot days cool nights? [​IMG]

2. NOOO!

Because of their inability to fly, and hard time seeing, when free franging Silkies are at the mercy of hawks and other birds of prey.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2008
  3. 1Speckled Hen w/Chicks

1Speckled Hen w/Chicks Songster

Jun 7, 2008
    NC
    I do not know about the temp part-as it is my first year with Silkies....and I will be interested to know how they will fair with our mild winters here in NC--but, I do know that Silkies are not the best bird to free range from what I have seen-and heard.

Due to their feathered heads/ limited vision they cannot see as well as others and become easy victims for predators.

Enjoy your silkies!

4. Quote:They handle cold better than they handle heat. I have to take extra measures (misters etc...) to keep them cool in the Summer.

5. ercky&perky

ercky&perky In the Brooder

Sep 6, 2008
    alberta
    I read that silkies should be given chick starter till they are 6 months old is this true [​IMG] the person I got my chicks from has them on pullet grower and they are around a month old [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: