another silkie question :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by ercky&perky, Sep 19, 2008.

1. ercky&perky

ercky&perky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2008
    alberta
    I was wondering if silkies make good free rangers in the summer???and if they do well with temperature changes?? hot days cool nights? [​IMG]

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

NOOO!

Because of their inability to fly, and hard time seeing, when free franging Silkies are at the mercy of hawks and other birds of prey.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2008
  3. 1Speckled Hen w/Chicks

1Speckled Hen w/Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    NC
    I do not know about the temp part-as it is my first year with Silkies....and I will be interested to know how they will fair with our mild winters here in NC--but, I do know that Silkies are not the best bird to free range from what I have seen-and heard.

Due to their feathered heads/ limited vision they cannot see as well as others and become easy victims for predators.

Enjoy your silkies!

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:They handle cold better than they handle heat. I have to take extra measures (misters etc...) to keep them cool in the Summer.

5. ercky&perky

ercky&perky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2008
    alberta
    I read that silkies should be given chick starter till they are 6 months old is this true [​IMG] the person I got my chicks from has them on pullet grower and they are around a month old [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by