Another test for chicken experts: Pullet or Cockerel? (new8.5 wk pics)

I saw some others posted while I was putting on the pictures- OK, I see how the chick has a larger and redder comb and wattle... than the other roo chick at that age (thanks for the pix).
It is interesting that the pointy feathers might be delayed.

Darn. I would like to keep him. Maybe until he starts to crow.
He had me hopeful he could still be a pullet- based on his mannerisms. This stinks! I don't want to have to give him up.

Thanks everyone! So far it seems pretty much unanimous. I'm glad I posted because I was really convincing myself he could be a pullet.

Nelli

Last edited:
Hey - nothing wrong with hanging on to him for a while if you want. If he acts pullet-ish maybe he will be one of the rare quiet roosters! And we could be wrong....

Yeah, I will be hanging onto him waiting for a crow! That would be very cool if he ended up being a quiet boy.

I will update this post with pictures as time goes on- maybe not every week, but every 2 weeks- so we can all see and compare his development.

And you are right... you never know!!!

Nelli

Roosters usually start to crow at about 16 weeks, Hens usually start to lay at 20 weeks. If anybody says they know the sex before that just by looking at the bird, ask them for tommorow's lottery numbers.
big_smile.png

Quote:
.... Hang out on the forums for a while.. you'll notice that you CAN tell them apart. Especially when the roos combs and wattle redden so much faster than the pullets.

Quote:
.... Hang out on the forums for a while.. you'll notice that you CAN tell them apart. Especially when the roos combs and wattle redden so much faster than the pullets.

Yes, it gets easier and easier to tell the roos & the pullets as young as 6 weeks old, the longer you are on here - or ... the more chicks you raise (and pay close attention to).

Combs & wattles are a big tell-tell sign in the young ones and the pointed sickle & hackle feathers as they get older show a definite roo (even if they are not crowing). There are some breeds that are harder to tell the sex, but most are pretty easy with experience.

I very easily picked out my BO & BA roos at about 6 weeks of age from my last batch of chicks, but was in denial about the LB (my first and only LB). I suspected it was a cockerel because of his red comb, but hung onto him hoping I was wrong. The reason it was harder for me to tell his sex, was because I was inexperienced with that breed.

I can relate ArizonaDC- I am hanging on to him in partial denial! Even with all the "roo" votes! I can't help but keep a small hope alive.

He will be my first roo. I have only kept chickens about 1.5 years. They are so much fun.

Thanks to all,
Nelli

Back
Top Bottom