Another Texan

Fairview01

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
New to the forum but not new to having chickens. When we had a couple of hayburners when the kids were still at home, having chickens seemed to be a natural extension of having horses. There were always bits of feed scattered uneaten and they were grateful to clean it up and thanked us by contributing eggs.

Fast forward 30 years and the competition to remain the cooler set of grand parents is alive as well. What could be a better grandchild magnet than having chickens, collecting eggs and of course the natural extension of that is to acquire an incubator so they can hatch their own and then bring the back here and visit and watch the grow. A bit devious but highly effective.

Our first chicks were purchased from the feed store, already a week+ old probably. Everything that a person could do wrong we probably did. Kept them on top of the kitchen stove above the pilot light for warmth. 2 weeks later they were roosting on the box edge and the cat started drooling and the wife had had enough sharing her stove with the birds. Unceremoniously dumped them out with the horses in the loafing shed that day. It was early spring, it was very chilly, they were less than half feathered and they all thrived except for the stupid one that tried to hide under the horse's hoof. There always sees to be a stupid one.

This time doing it a little more correctly. Have a red brooder light, not using newspaper in the bottom of the box and after lurking on the hatchery page decided to buy an additional 25% to cover the losses. But I did not factor in the one variable of not having the post office handle them for me. Drove to Ideal and picked up my order. I figured out of 10 I would end up with no more than 7 by now. Nope all 10 are healthy and little eating machines. Gonna have a slight surplus of eggs this year I guess.

Now to finish the coop.

Greetings from Kansas, Fairview01, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! Love your story! You sound like pretty cool grandparents to me! Sounds like you've got the incubating thing down. If you'd like to chat with fellow Lone Star state poultry folks, there are probably a couple TX threads floating around this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
Best wishes on the coop construction and thanks for joining BYC!!

welcome-byc.gif

It sounds like you're off and running...the grandkids will definitely love coming to grandma & grandpa's house!

G’Day from down under Fairview01
frow.gif
Welcome!

You definitely win the cool grandparents award in my book!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

G’Day from down under Fairview01  :frow  Welcome!

You definitely win the cool grandparents award in my book!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member.  There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.  Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends ;)

So you on the Perth/Fremantle side or Sydney. Had the privilege of visiting several times back in the 80s courtesy of the United States taxpayer, the Marines and not to be forgotten our favorite sea going taxis, the United States Navy.

Nice place, too many flies. Y'all need more chickens to those things.

So you on the Perth/Fremantle side or Sydney. Had the privilege of visiting several times back in the 80s courtesy of the United States taxpayer, the Marines and not to be forgotten our favorite sea going taxis, the United States Navy.

Nice place, too many flies. Y'all need more chickens to those things.

Tee hee .. on the Sydney side but 1,000kms further north and hopefully soon to be 2,300kms further north than Sydney in Far North Queensland
smile.png

Ya get used to the flies
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom