Another winter readiness question thread...

They will be fine with what you have already done. The main thing is to keep them dry when it's extremely cold and out of the wind. Also making sure they have adequate feed, the reason wild birds die in winter is usually due to an unadequate feed source.

I would just leave things as they are. Your plastic wrap and various hiding spots are more than enough.

They will be fine with what you have already done. The main thing is to keep them dry when it's extremely cold and out of the wind. Also making sure they have adequate feed, the reason wild birds die in winter is usually due to an unadequate feed source.

So keep 'em fed, dry, and draft-free. I can do that! Thank you so much for the reassurance :hugs. I'll sleep better now, I really will.

Cardboard boxes, hollow logs, the bottom half of a plastic dog house, overturned. They definitely use them during the day, but not at night. Not sure why.

View attachment 1608160

View attachment 1608159

Mine did the same thing for a long time. Crazy little things. I check on them after closing the chicken coop and a few are still out at night between one of the shelters and the open side of the garden on a regular basis.

Well, they still prefer to sleep out in the open, but the wind and snow stay off them and nighttime temps have been better lately. Plastic sheeting is holding up well. I no longer fret for their safety.

Went to buy a Christmas tree and they were giving away free pine boughs. The quail took to the extra cover naturally.

PC170290.JPG

Give them a big heap of dry straw, and they'll burrow down into it.
My suggestion would be a small 'doghouse' type structure, stuffed with enough straw that it could bury quail, being sure they can get in through the entrance. Also, a heap of straw just in a corner, so they can choose where to be. Little tiny birds like chickadees do fine in the cold, so quail with insulation should be fine. As long as the wind is off them and they aren't wet, they should be pretty comfy. Heck, build them a little dome of pine boughs and throw straw over the top like one of those survival shelters.

Give them a big heap of dry straw, and they'll burrow down into it.
My suggestion would be a small 'doghouse' type structure, stuffed with enough straw that it could bury quail, being sure they can get in through the entrance. Also, a heap of straw just in a corner, so they can choose where to be. Little tiny birds like chickadees do fine in the cold, so quail with insulation should be fine. As long as the wind is off them and they aren't wet, they should be pretty comfy. Heck, build them a little dome of pine boughs and throw straw over the top like one of those survival shelters.

I've already stuffed their half-doghouse and back corner with straw, but they refuse to use it at night (perfectly happy to use it during the day). So far they've figured out how to huddle when it's bitter cold, but I've yet to see them puff up worryingly or shiver. They're plenty active during the day (especially when I scatter meal worms). Will probably shove them all in cover when it dips into the single digits to avoid taking chances.

Back
Top Bottom