Anti-inflammatory meds for chickens?

I use meloxicam, but as others said, it's prescription only.

Here is some aspirin dosing info that I have found:

This source says 5 mg/kg which is ~2.3 mg per pound three times a day (~11 to 12 mg per five pounds). It also says you can dissolve a 325 mg tablet in 250 ml (8 ounces) of water, which is what the poultrydvm site says.

http://www.vetfolio.com/veterinary-practice-issues/controlling-avian-pain
aspirin_4-png.1542495

This book says the same as the above:
http://avianmedicine.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/18.pdf
aspirin_1-png.1542486
aspirin_2-png.1542485

And another book:
http://avianmedicine.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/09_therapeutic_agents.pdf
aspirin_3-png.1542489

http://www.armchairpatriot.com/Home-Vet/Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook [Desk Ed.] 6th ed. - D. Plumb (Blackwell, 2008) WW.pdf
aspirin_5-png.1542498

Thanks @casportpony! That's good to know I can go up to 325 mg on the asprin. I keep the baby asprin (81 mg) on hand for the chickens.
I checked on her 15 minutes ago. I threw some crushed up eggshells in her run and she got up and hobbled over to it. She was able to bear a little more weight on that leg. There doesn't seem to be any movement in the hip socket/pelvic/spine junction yet, but the hock and ankle joints are moving. (Pardon my terminology; I am only familiar with human and horse terms!). I'll just keep giving her asprin and hope time will heal whatever is going on.

Aspirin couldn't be more homeopathic other than trotting down to the creek bottom and cutting some willow stems and chewing on them. Keep in mind that some homeopathics have proved to be toxic even to humans such as ephedra, guarana and cola nut. To get the full effect from aspirin, just pop a whole children's aspirin directly into the beak. Dissolving it in water dilutes the effect too much.

I have a vet, one of only two in town, that will give me prescriptions if I ask for them or do a fecal float if I request it. He draws the line short of diagnosing and treating chickens, but has offered to euthanize for $5.

It's actually a good thing when vets refuse to see chickens when they know next to nothing about them. I've seen a few posts on this forum from people who had a vet see their chicken and charge $100 for "it could be an infection" when it's probably a crop issue.

The homeopathic medication you show contains kalmia latifolia, which is commonly known as mountain laurel, and is toxic to chickens. Meds like this are also usually very concentrated, so can be more toxic than the plant itself, so I would stick with aspirin. If you can manage to soak her in warm epsom salts it may help also, just make sure she gets well dry afterwards. If it freaks her out, then maybe not. CBD oil is not toxic (there are studies giving hemp oil that actually showed it bettered the fatty acid content in the eggs) and may help. Not sure on what the dosing would be honestly, I use it for one of my dogs with arthritis, have not had reason to use it on a chicken up to now.
https://www.dummies.com/home-garden...ickens/plants-that-are-poisonous-to-chickens/
I use some herbals and tend to stay away from homeopathics, they are used differently and the knowledge is different, even though they get lumped together. Not that it's a bad thing, I just don't know enough about them.
I am in the same boat vet-wise. Say 'chicken' and minimum I get an eye-roll, maximum I get hung up on.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22334746
https://www.cbdnaturalpower.com/en/cbd-for-pets/

I prefer and have a better understanding of herbal use. I do not use homeopathic remedies. I have not studied the various substances used. Some of the substances may not be safe for chickens. For instance, the ferrum metallicum is obtained from iron. While iron replacement is essential for a chicken with anemia, it should not be used if anemia, injury or tissue damage is not present. I am also concerned about using anything with lithium benzoicum, which has an effect on the bladder and uric acid levels.

For a natural treatment I would suggest, Ashwagandha powder. It can be mixed in some mashed feed, then, a bit of coconut oil (also has anti-inflammatory properties) stirred in to hold the ingredient to the feed. I have used this for a year, in one of my chickens. She was lame due to a possible tumor, and was supposed to pass away in October of 2018, according to the vet. She is now walking, eating, drinking, and laying eggs! She is on a maintenance dosage of 200 mg, once a day. Ashwagandha may be used for up to two years. During my hen's worst symptoms, she received 200 mg., twice daily.

Keepers have also reported good results from using CBD oil (cannabidiol). This Hemp product is anti-inflammatory, and is sold for dogs with arthritis pain. I have not used it on any of my chickens. However, I do use Hemp protein powder as a healing and nourishing meal replacement for critically ill chickens.

These are my thoughts, based on my experience with herbal remedies.

I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :)

Greetings Trish1974,
Just saw your update this morning, and now it has vanished.

You said you are thinking about Marek's...

If this was my hen, I would treat the symptoms, and provide good supportive care. If she is laying eggs, at least you know her reproductive system is not affected. Many times, the presence of a tumor will cause paralysis. However, the cause of a tumor is not always known, at least not without medical testing, or a necropsy. Marek's is a common cause.

If the hen has Marek's, once paralysis presents, they usually succumb to the disease fairly quickly. There is little more you can do, than what you are already doing, in this case.

However, you mentioned hearing a "snap or pop" sound, earlier. You may be right about the tendonitis. That condition is extremely painful, and debilitating. I know. I damaged the tendon in my shoulder, last July. I was experiencing pain from it, for the last 10 months. The first month, I was unable to control the movement of my arm and had pain down to my finger tips. I can only imagine the paralyzing pain a chicken would experience. Tendonitis, is not quick to heal, like other injuries to soft tissue or bones.

I suggested using Ashwagandha on your hen earlier. This herb is used in Ayervedic medicine, a healing practice used in India. I found almost immediate relief from my pain, month ago, when I started the Ashwagandha herbal supplement on myself. Besides being an anti-inflammatory, Ashwagandha is also known for it's anti-tumor properties. A dual purpose herb like this is helpful, when the exact diagnosis of a condition is not known. This is a powerful herb.

Ashwagandha is one of the herbs I used to treat my hen Lottie (the miracle hen).

I have used Aspirin, Meloxicam, and Carprofen to treat my chickens for pain. Different pain situations require different pain medication. The use of both traditional medications, and herbal medicines can be used, in healing the various conditions that chickens can suffer from.

Aspirin is a good pain reliever, but it should only be used short term. Aspirin can cause bleeding of the intestine, and also blood loss from a minor scratch or injury, if used too long. If pain relief is needed for more than a week, another medication or treatment should be sought. Also, it is my understanding that it is safe to administer up to 120 mg. of aspirin per day for a chicken. I believe the 350 mg. was intended to dilute in drinking water, as the sole source of water, for the day. The chicken would only drink some of that, not all. So, a direct dose orally, such as by pill, or liquid suspension, would be up to 120 mg., total, daily. I usually split an 81 mg. low dose tablet, and give half (40.5 mg.), twice daily.

Supportive care:
  • Soaks in a warm Epsom bath, will help soothe pain and relax the chicken.
  • As Wyorp Rock suggested, a sling is another good way to help the hen.
  • Propping the hen up with pillows to keep her from falling over, is something else you can do.
  • Offer soft moist foods, along with her normal feed.
  • Keep the hen's vent clean if she gets poopy butt from all that sitting.
Since there is no veterinary help, having healing strategies, applying them consistently, and giving the hen a reasonable amount of time to show improvement, is all you can do for now. Recovery may take a long time. If she shows signs of suffering, stops drinking and eating, sleepiness, etc., then you will have to consider euthanasia.

I am praying for your girl, that she is able to achieve some measure of recovery.

God Bless and peace to you. :)

Back
Top Bottom