Anti-Poultry Laws - An Ulterior Motive?

I think...

• Your just paranoid OldGuy43. There's no conflict of intrest there.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • You may be right.

Votes: 21 77.8%
  • I have not opinion.

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters
I don't know about it being an organized, manifesto type conspiracy, I wonder if it isn't more of a complacency, convinience, kind of thing that has been perpetuated and taken advantage of. It is in the best financial interest of corporations to limit the backyard agriculture that was at one time more prevelant in our country, in order to drive the public to their establishments and purchase rather than produce it themselves. When the education system teaches and promotes that kind of thinking, then it soon becomes the norm, even though it is erroneous. You know, tell a lie long enough and repeat it enough it then becomes believable. Same goes with some extreme elements of bio-security. While I don't want to spread disease to or from my own flock, and do what I can within reason to prevent introducing diseases from other chickens into my flock, I also know that ANY bird that flys around the area and gleans feed from the numerous flocks in my area can potentially spread disease from one flock to another. Same goes for the numerous predators, dogs and cats included, that roam around the countryside.

I think that recently, we have seen a movement to go back to some degree of self-sufficiency, but most of us I think, are really FAR from it in actuality. Some municipalities follwed along, passing the same laws as everyone else did, because it was easier or because they didn't want to seem different that other towns or areas of the country. Not because it was right to do so. We are seeing this with the poultry laws being changed. A municipality that doesn't want to belabelled as chicken haters by a neighboring town or its citzens will soon change the laws/ordinanced to accomodate the will of the people and also to bend towards the current trends. We see it all the time.

O ' it's real, any one following the bakers green acres battle going on up in Michigan. small farmers are fighting with DNR up there that passed a ordnance , saying that anyone raising pigs that have Hair or curly or straight tails are raising wild pigs and they must be terminated , cause wild pigs are taking over the lane...So Mr Baker is taking DNR to court, we know its the huge pig factory's pushing this to do away with the small farmers who raise pigs that free range, i sure hope Baker wins, here is a link to Mr Bakers site...

http://bakersgreenacres.com/

If the "big dogs" had to play fair, it would likely be a different outcome. It's one thing to hide behind badges, titles and committees and "declare" what will or will not be. It is another thing entirely to walk up on a man's porch and tell him yourself, and have to make it stick. In that scenario, the owner would be able to (legally) thrash his britches and send him home whipped and hungry. The way it is though, cowards and sissies can call the shots because it costs them nothing, and they have the "law" to back them up.

If the "big dogs" had to play fair, it would likely be a different outcome. It's one thing to hide behind badges, titles and committees and "declare" what will or will not be. It is another thing entirely to walk up on a man's porch and tell him yourself, and have to make it stick. In that scenario, the owner would be able to (legally) thrash his britches and send him home whipped and hungry. The way it is though, cowards and sissies can call the shots because it costs them nothing, and they have the "law" to back them up.

That's why I always suggest if you can't decide who to vote for (or against for that matter) vote for the person who is not currently in office. that way you remind them that:
  1. They were hired to do a job and they work for you.
  2. It's a temp job!

Servants of the people should never be allowed to get too comfortable.

Last edited:
I personally feel that the people responsible for such stupid ordinances probably grew up being picked on as kids. They finally got a job where they get to do the bullying and they go all out for it. Think about it. Chickens. An American standby. Every home used to have them. I figure if these panty-waists had to personally go and physically remove the chickens from the property of private citizens themselves, they'd find something else to amuse themselves. Nothing like getting your butt kicked all over the yard for something you didn't really believe in to start with.

I find this very interesting and almost true.
The real danger is the lobbyists and others who spend their lives seeking out those in power who have an axe to grind but never used it, someone who has succeded but has a dirty secret, or those who seek power but will do anything to get it.

You're exactly right about those who got picked on having a desire to seek revenge or retribution, but I think people who lived through that take a higher road, or just give up. Either from their own experience and empathy or simply from not caring anymore they dont seek revenge. (Some even seek out ways to help others in the same situation.)

However greed is a powerful thing and information can be tainted.
What do you think a greedy lug would do with information about a person who is now a key figure in USDA policy that happened to have a terrible childhood at the hands of a couple farm boys? I'm willing to bet that the figurehead hadnt even thought about the origins of the bullies, maybe even didnt know. Yet to a lobbyist its a weakness to be exploited.
Articles upon articles about how these dirty poultry farmers raise kids just like the ones who terrorized them. Interesting stories at the bar from unsuspecting patrons who just happend to overhear the conversation.

You get the idea.

I've worked in government, the military, lived in many places, have freinds in law enforcement and legal feilds. I too believed it was some bit of retribution and said the exact same thing (sometimes being true) about those who had power over me.
Yet I have learned one thing:

The true danger is the one you only just realized and least suspected.

Lobbyists are where the true danger lies.
If anyone who cared about the future of their family, country, church, whatever really knew where that advertisement or idea came from they would be amazed.
Just like in law, dont look at whats in front of you, dig deep, search through, find the source. The truth will amaze you.

That's not to say that people arent dangerous.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals..."
Like recently said many municapalities pass anything goes laws to follow recent trends of self sufficency without thought to the larger problems this creates. Anything goes only when everything seperates (or at least an acre and a good fence).

Government and freedom are not mutual, and in fact very exclusive.
Living in at least 3 forms of government has taught me something, people need control. "Without it its chaos, and with it its worse" may be said be some and quite true, however the real difference is how the control is administered.

Who you chose to lead the people isnt nearly as important as who you chose to keep those with power in check. Right now no one checks who has the power, the contributors and their employed lobbyists.
No money = no abortion ads = no votes
No money = no gay rights rhetoric = no votes
No money = no lies = no complacient people

Thats my conspiracy rant,
wall of text whee~~~~

Last edited:
There is an ulterior motive, but I do not think it has anything to do with money.

I can only speak of the City of Stoughton, WI, where as a member of the city council in 2010 I authored and was able to pass on a 7-5 vote our chicken ordinance, allowing a whopping 4 hens in our citizen's backyards.

The resistance that I encountered was deeply rooted in the history of the city. I had only been a resident of Stoughton for 11+ years, and the "old timers" would tell me that long ago, when they were in high school, there used to be chickens running all over the place. When the city decided to "grow up" that meant ridding the place of all the trappings of an agricultural society, including chickens.

There is a ton more that I could say on this, but the reasons, in my case, had little to do with a conspiracy, and more to do with fear. A fear of resorting back to a situation that they deliberately got rid of decades before.

Not to say I don't think there are conspiracies galore in other parts of government. But I will resist commenting on those

PS You may speak freely, I am no longer a politician
smile.png

Last edited:
I see what you mean about people "growing up" and outlawing everything that contributed to who they are.
Trying to cleanse themselves of the truth to fit an image or something. I dont know exactly why, just see it often.

Here in China as the populace rapidly advances they do some crazy things to distance themselves from the farmer roots they have.
I often see people letting their children pee in common areas of the building, but get insane stares and some really vulgar comments when my dog pees on a bush thats part of the garden wall.
They stink to high hell and never shower in the summer or winter, but if I have my freshly bathed dog all of them cover their noses and make vulgar comments about the "horrible smell" while asking "What kind of stupid farmer lets a dog live in their house? This is the city!"
Ahh ignorance.

Plus they make some crazy laws to seperate themselves from the evil truth about their pasts.
Luckily no one enforces them yet.

So I guess you're right problably not some conspiracy theory.

I must ask stevetone how was your experience in politics?
I often consider geting into it, just a little too far abroad at the moment to really look into it.

I must ask stevetone how was your experience in politics?
I often consider geting into it, just a little too far abroad at the moment to really look into it.

It continues to have been the most interesting job I ever had, full of frustration, personal conflict, strategy, consensus building, success and failure.

The one thing that it taught me was to not get hung up over past decisions; to look forward to what can be, rather than looking back towards what happened.

I encourage everyone to get involved in governing something.

Good advice and I must say I dont cont on it being successful, but I really want to make a try at a difference.
I mean I cant do much worse than what we have. Hehe.

It would be great if more people could get involved in being the leaders. They might appriciate more about what those in the position need to go through.
My largest worry would be keeping my mouth shut when I hear strange opinoins.
However after almost 10 years abroad I've had some interesting practice.

Thanks for your service and best of luck with what the future has.

Back
Top Bottom