antibiotics and deworming. Can they be done at the same time?

chesterjet

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
Hello, first time on this forum. I have the feeling I will be using it alot. Here is my question. Our 5 hens (aka peeper girls) started to shake their head last week. No other symptoms. Eating, drinking and running around as usual. Read somewhere that that could be upper respiratory infection, so started an antibiotic in their water (tetracycline Hydrochloride Powder). 6 days later, no improvement. Searching the web for answers I found out that Gapeworm is another reason why they would shake their heads. They are free range and do eat alot of little slugs and worms! I am new at this and did not know that caused this gapeworm. The girls don't have any symptoms of respiratory distress and are still acting normal. They are a little over a year old. So my question is: Can I start treating them with a dewormer right away? they finished their antibiotics yesterday and don't want to over stress their system with so much medication. Oh, by the way Ivermectin is what I am planing to use for their deworming. Thanks a million for any words of wisdom.

Montana

ups, just noticed this was under the wrong subject.
hmm.png
sorry.

I would go through there feathers real good to see if they have lice or mites. They can climb in the ear canal too. Ivomectrian is a good broad dewormer to use. I would wait a few days unless you see a lot of mites, then you can always dust them with seven dust for mites.

Thank you Chickenzoo. I have looked in their feathers and don't see anything. Their ears also seemed clear. But tomorrow I will take some time to rally check them well. Thank you for your suggestion.

Montana.

Chickenzoo,

New development today. It has been raining hard and the girls are wet, so I have not checked for mites. I do notice them scratching their head, sort of like a dog would. Still shaking their head, but acting normal. Now, what do this mites look like? are they like a fleas or smaller?
Thanks so much for your help!

Montana

The mites are tiny. I think they are red, brown and white in color. I was just researching the same question you posted!

MacNat,
Are you having the same problem with your hens? Or just mites? Mine are outside right now happy eating oat meal that I am spreading out for them. Waiting to see if they start having respiratory problems and then I'll start them on the dewormer. Looked down in their necks (very hard to do) and can't see any worms down there. Thanks for the description of the mites. I'll check some more of them in a little bit. This head shanking thing is driving me crazy!! I want my hens happy and healthy!
roll.png

Montana.

Mine have a respiratory issue and some appear to have gapeworm, unless that is from the respiratory. No mites or lice. They dust in limestone sand and wood ashes and I sprinkl;e DE and occasionally 7 there. Its time for them to be wormed anyway. I do it chemically fall and spring. I figured since I had to throw the eggs it would be a good time. Not getting an answer though. I reposted the same question worded different. If I get any feed back on that one I will pass it on to you!!

MacNat,

From what I am gathering the gapeworm does give them some respiratory problems. I am watching them carefully looking just for that. If they do start to have the respiratory distress, then I will start the deworming right away. I don't want to treat them if it is not gapeworm. One of my hens is loosing feathers on her head. Still don't see mites. They are scratching their head some times. Is this normal? The scratching is not often, but it is there. Heck.. I don't know what to do.
Please keep me posted on what you decide to do.

Montana.

Mites can be very small red or black walking specks of dirt, LOL. I part the feathers to the skin and wait a few seconds....then I may see them moving around. Or if it is warm out, wet down your birds. It will often bring them to the surface.Lice tend to be almost a clear white and their eggs are the same. They bond to the feather shaft by the skin and are very hard to see. Often seen by the vent area on the feathers. Humm. If it is a respiratory problem you often hear wheezing if you listen to the lungs, also many respiratory problems prevent itself with a watery nose or eye. Gapeworm is not common, although possible. Often birds stretch out their necks and gape open their mouth..... never seen it in person. Ivomectrian would cure most of the worm and lice/mite problem but not respiratory.

Back
Top Bottom