Antibiotics will soon require vet prescription

Ok that’s good info, that’s why I asked it as a question and said I didn’t know.
So, all I’m saying, is that in commercial poultry operations, if they cannot treat sick birds, what happens to the sick birds? Commercial houses do practice biosecurity, but if this board sees chickens dying of communicable diseases, imagine what could happen in a commercial house. We are talking poultry houses with millions of birds at a time. I suppose it’s fertilizer, and animal by products, not for human consumption.
They burn them.

Poultry houses are intensive systems, meaning fully indoors. Some "free range" pens have a little access to dirt and air. The systems are AIAO. All in, all out. The flocks move as one to prevent the spread of disease.

The lack of affordable vet care for our feathered friends --- or lack of knowledgeable vet care if they will see your chicken (having followed many threads where chickens were taken to the vet) - or any vet care for poultry at all for whole regions - is staggering. Personally, I cannot justify $100's of dollars spent on vet care for a chicken. A friend does take her 'special' hens to the vet - and has never had a bill under $250. One was an x-ray of a leg - broken femur - and I'm not criticizing taking chickens to the vet - I'm saying that an x-ray and "keep her in a crate for 3 weeks" shouldn't cost $250. Another amounted to nothing more than prescribed antibiotics - $300. Everyone needs to make their living - I just wish we had more options.

It's a good thing BYC is here - even when conflicting info is given on treatment- responses give people a starting place to research which way to go. One person says do abc - other person says do xyz - and you can go from there and reach a decision.

It's easy, just breed a disease resistant chicken. Antibiotic will become obsolete anyway, and there will be second great epidemic like black death.
Unless science can find a solution.
20191115_175530.jpg

Last edited:
Scary stuff.

Being a retired nurse I was on the front line when it came to dealing with antibiotic resistant illness.

Hospitals are hot beds of disease organisms and I saw more people that have fallen victim to this situation than makes me comfortable. People having surgeries, many knee or hip replacements find themselves victims of MRSA (methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus) or C-diff and found themselves being admitted to the rehab unit for treatment of a nasty infection that they caught IN the hospital. The IV antibiotics given to treat these conditions, Vancomycin being one of them, is potent and potentially dangerous even to administer with some pretty nasty side effects of it's own. When I worked in the nursing home industry we saw people admitted with these same conditions, AFTER being admitted to a hospital.

Where, I'd like to know, are these bacteria that are invading the hospitals coming from?

I've had incidents while working a new born nursery where cultures of the walls found staph bacteria. We were all tested regularly for staph. So who knows. Are the great unwashed masses coming in to visit patients and see their new family members bringing in the buggies? That is my theory.

Now what has made them resistant is the next question? MRSA can not be destroyed. It is forced into colonization by powerful antibiotics and remains dormant in the person's bloodstream. C-diff can be eliminated but it's my suspicion that what is happening is that people who have lesser illnesses that do require treatment with antibiotics are not taking the full course of medicine and the super bug transformation takes effect when that happens.

The key to it all might be as simple as education of the masses to stop this resistance.

I think more regulation is a good idea due to resistance. However, I too am concerned with the fact we do not have an exotics vet in my area. How would someone like me get antibiotics?
You could buy from online gamebird and pigeon supply websites, or buy fish antibiotics.

Scary stuff.

Being a retired nurse I was on the front line when it came to dealing with antibiotic resistant illness.

Hospitals are hot beds of disease organisms and I saw more people that have fallen victim to this situation than makes me comfortable. People having surgeries, many knee or hip replacements find themselves victims of MRSA (methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus) or C-diff and found themselves being admitted to the rehab unit for treatment of a nasty infection that they caught IN the hospital. The IV antibiotics given to treat these conditions, Vancomycin being one of them, is potent and potentially dangerous even to administer with some pretty nasty side effects of it's own. When I worked in the nursing home industry we saw people admitted with these same conditions, AFTER being admitted to a hospital.

Where, I'd like to know, are these bacteria that are invading the hospitals coming from?

I've had incidents while working a new born nursery where cultures of the walls found staph bacteria. We were all tested regularly for staph. So who knows. Are the great unwashed masses coming in to visit patients and see their new family members bringing in the buggies? That is my theory.

Now what has made them resistant is the next question? MRSA can not be destroyed. It is forced into colonization by powerful antibiotics and remains dormant in the person's bloodstream. C-diff can be eliminated but it's my suspicion that what is happening is that people who have lesser illnesses that do require treatment with antibiotics are not taking the full course of medicine and the super bug transformation takes effect when that happens.

The key to it all might be as simple as education of the masses to stop this resistance.
I am getting in on this late. Mersa went through one of our hospitals They found It in the paint on the walls.... They had to go through a whole hasmatt remodel in certain areas of the hospital.

That was about twenty or thirty years ago. Scary stuff.

I personally have never used antibiotics. Never needed it. But I am confident that I could call a vet and get a prescription if I needed it. I know one of the diseases that scares me is Mericks. The vaccine does NOT prevent the disease but makes the progression easier on the bird.

I wish they would work on something that isnt just a pallative but actually Immunizes the bird....

I believe the routine use of Hormones and antibiotics in the meat production is the source of resistance. and Yes even if there is a law against slaughtering sick animals there are some who will do it.

deb

Back
Top Bottom