Antibotic conversion

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Silkie's Grandma, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Silkie's Grandma

Silkie's Grandma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2008
    West-Central Wisconsin
    I bought some powdered chicken anti botic (Aureomycin) I want to use 200mg per gallon of water. How do I measure the mg in teaspoon form? (the package gives directions for 256 gallons of water per full pack - I am not sharp enough to figgure this 1 out)

2. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    I had the same problem with tetramyacin. Try calling the company. The number has to be on the packaging by law. They should be able to give you the proper measurement per gallon of water.

3. Silkie's Grandma

Silkie's Grandma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2008
    West-Central Wisconsin
    no phone number on the package - just a address - I searched the address on the internet & got a number, of course they are closed on weekends...

4. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Was having the same problem this morning with a sulfa powder, but I figured out a way to do it.

Take your package of powder, dump it all in a clean dry bowl. Measure it all back into the package by the teaspoon. Write down how many teaspoons you have.

The package, if it's like mine, will tell you how many gallons or liters the whole package should be mixed with.

Now you can take your number of teaspoons in the total package, divide it by the number of gallons/liters of water the package is supposed to make, and that will give you your appropriate fraction of a teaspoon needed for one gallon. Then divide the fraction further if you're making less.

Hope this helps.

5. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    how many mg's all together in the packet, a teaspoon is 5ml's, it actually should say how many, if i had all the info i could do the math for you, i'm a nurse and can figure it out

6. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by