Antique Book(s)

HomesteaderWife

Free Ranging
9 Years
Apr 24, 2015
Alabama
I have had a hobby from the time I was a kid of collecting old books, specifically 1940s and prior. I've recently become fond of books from the late 1800s. I've picked up one recently that I can't seem to find much information about, and I'd be glad to hear from some folks that may perhaps have the same interest or know someone who can dig up information on this book. Hopefully some other folks can chime in.

Recent picked book:
oldgentleman1.png oldgentleman2.png oldgentleman4.png oldgentleman6.png

To the best of my diggings, Page re-released his book after adding more to it and the book was then bound blue. But apparently the first release was red-bound. Copy is from 1897, though in a bit of rough shape.

Last edited:
I managed to dig up that much that it was the prior edition, but it seems that everyone I have contacted in regards to it turns away because of the cover’s current state. The only picture I’ve managed to find of the book was this exact book funny enough, as the staining/wear on the front matched up. Either way, it’s a unique piece to start over my collection. Though it reflects a hard time in the country’s past, it is a reminder of the changes we have seen up to the present. I am glad the pages remain together and the book isn’t completely destroyed- it’s a shame just how many older books are tattered and missing parts and pages.

Any good suggestions for a book to look out for that would be worth a pick/read?

Sadly, condition in an old/antique book is almost everything. Reprints for the interior are available for a song for anything that re-printers can get a a hold of, usually on-demand print services.

We have a huge library sale every Fall here. There are tables full of antique books and encyclopedias. I've brought so many home. People buy them cheap, glue them together and make stack or lamps out of them.

My neighbor went on the last day and bought copier books full of them for $1 a box and glued them together to make a book Christmas tree.

Other buyers but them together by color, or topic, or look and sell them as bundles to fill peoples bookshelves for looks only. It makes me SICK!

I search for topics that interest me. Some of the oldest ones are full of great lost tales and adventures, and the writing style is SO different from what it is now.

So what area are you interested in?

Mine is history, historic fiction, and person histories - mostly colonial era and shortly thereafter, westward expansion,and up to about 1900.

@WthrLady - I'm a stickler for book care, so the thought of destroying a book for crafts honestly hurts. I have never in my life been able to bring myself to dog ear a book. I've seen the color coordination thing recently as a trend. I may be odd in saying it, but printed word deserves respect and I try to care for my books.

As for interests, I treat books like I do music- I will try any genre. History has been a passion in reading for sure.

I am such a keeper of the old stuff. It's just so precious.

The craft thing makes me ill.

We have second hand book sellers (mom and pop size) here as well and I visit those about once a month.

The day I found a first edition copy of a book written by my great grandfather that was SIGNED in his hand....about burst into tears!

I have an appreciation for antique books, but no budget to pursue any collection thereof. It's nice to see others here that enjoy a good book.

I do have a dictionary collection that I'm rather possessive of.

Back
Top Bottom