1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ants in my coop. Please help!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by anm805, May 24, 2011.

1. anm805

anm805 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Southern California
    I am having a hard time finding the oils anywhere near me. I went to Lowe's today and picked up some Hot Shot Natural Ant & Roach killer. It has Lemongrass oil, water, mineral oil, wintergreen oil, isopropyl alcohol, carbon dioxide, polygycerol oleate, sodium benzoate.

Was wondering if anyone had experience with the insecticide in or around their chicken coops.

Thanks again for any help in advance.

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Why don't the chickens handle them. Had a infested rotten stump in a new area of the yard, in one day the ants are gone and the stump was pecked to dust. and that was with less than a dozen chickens. If there is too many ants , you might look into a few guineas

3. anm805

May 24, 2011
    Southern California
    They are 2 months old and are avoiding the ants. It's a small coop so I won't be able to have any more than 4 chickens.

4. Shireshome

Shireshome Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Orange oil is the best thing I have found for ants. Here is a product that works really well. http://www.ecowise.com/product_info.php?products_id=185 Also you can just get a plain old bottle of orangle oil from the health food store and dump it over the mound but if you have several problem areas it would be cheaper to get the spray. Good luck.

5. Chainsaw385

Chainsaw385 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2010
    Mix sugar and Borax 50-50

Kills a whole colony in a couple days..........never used it around chickens put a little bowl under the coup that the chickens can't get into will do the trick

6. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    There's nothing in that spray that sound bad around chickens.

7. mjuenem

mjuenem Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Putnam Co.
    Quote:Plus, it'll make your chickens fire resistant!

8. mjuenem

mjuenem Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Putnam Co.
    Ants are heading for food. Follow them and remove/relocate the food. No more ants.

9. anm805

May 24, 2011
    Southern California
    Quote:Plus, it'll make your chickens fire resistant!

mjuenem

Okay I am not sure if I should laugh or what. Thought this was hilarious. lol

Thanks everyone for your help. I sprayed it while the chickens were out in the yard. Will update tomorrow!

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  10. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    Plus, it'll make your chickens fire resistant!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by