Any advice for gasping for air in ducks!

Frankie hanging out with her cat friend

Attachments

• 20220515_161439.jpg
    20220515_161439.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I'm sorry to keep sounding like a broken record, but I'm tearing myself and this situation apart still. I wish I could know if I did anything wrong, and that I did everything right to save her. I keep thinking if I had brought her in sooner, or had a wellness check at 4-6 mo old just as a precaution. My heart is aching, and I miss my sweet Gracie so much. I'm trying to remember all the wonderful memories and that she had a good life, even though it was cut way too short.
I'm trying to be strong for Frankie, but every night when I put her to bed I sob over Grace not being there with her. Frankie keeps head bobbing as if to comfort me too. It breaks my heart to see her sitting by her mirror so much, and the thought of her sleeping alone. I'm going to take her to the vet and get bloodwork and exam done even though she still seems healthy. I'm just so lost on this whole situation. I can't believe my baby is gone, and I'm only holding on to the fact that she's no longer suffering.

You did all you could for her and sometimes it just isn’t enough. I’ve lost a few birds that I tried so hard to help and they still didn’t recover. It is heartbreaking but the fact you tried means a lot. We do all we can then we can rest in knowing we tried as much as we knew to do. And hopefully we learn a lot along the way. Your beating yourself up and it’s not doing you a bit of good. Get those new babies and enjoy them and Frankie I believe Grace would want that. :hugs

You did all you could for her and sometimes it just isn’t enough. I’ve lost a few birds that I tried so hard to help and they still didn’t recover. It is heartbreaking but the fact you tried means a lot. We do all we can then we can rest in knowing we tried as much as we knew to do. And hopefully we learn a lot along the way. Your beating yourself up and it’s not doing you a bit of good. Get those new babies and enjoy them and Frankie I believe Grace would want that. :hugs
Thank you Lydia. It's so hard not to play the "What if" game, and I'm trying so hard not to. I'm thankful for your support. One minute I'm at peace knowing I did everything I knew to do, and what the vet told me, then the next I spiral downwards.
I lost my African Grey parrot 8 years ago, along with human friends and family members, and it never gets easier.
It's comforting to talk with people that understand the bond between us and ducks. They are my children and always will be.

I brought Frankers to the vet today to get a wellness exam, and because she was limping when I got home last night. She's not limping anymore thankfully, but I still brought her to the vet. I'll find out her bloodwork results Monday. Fingers crossed. I took her to a different vet, and he was wonderful and very informative and compassionate about ducks. He said overall Frankie looks great, but he could tell she got a little "bug" too, due to subtle dried small feathers by her eyes. After explaining everything about Grace, he thinks it might be possible they got a virus or cold that blew through, and maybe Grace's immune system wasn't strong. It'll always remain a mystery, but I needed to check up on Frankie at the vet either way.
I had another question however: we got her a Rouen and Welsh harlequin friends, but even though it would be tough on my heart, I've considered going back and getting a Cayuga as well. They are all the same age ducklings. We always joked that Grace and Frankie only liked our cat Luci because he's black like them. That's what made me think I should get her another Cayuga friend for familiarity. My poor baby just sits in front of her mirror and even head bobs at herself sometimes. I got her a mallard decoy duck and a big plush mallard duck, but she doesn't seem to care. I'm sure it's because they aren't real.
Any thoughts on if it would make a difference getting another Cayuga for familiarity? That way there would be 4 ducks total. I'm worried the two ducklings will bond and Frankie will be left out. Sorry for the novel!

I think it would be wonderful for you to get a Cayuga. The more the merrier. On really nice days take the ducklings out to meet Frankie once you know she isn't contagious. That way once they are old enough to be outside for good they will all know each other. You could make a little fenced in area for the ducklings so they can play on the ground and Frankie can be close to them.
Bless her heart she will be so happy to have more in her flock. it will take time of course but they will all end up being one sweet flock.
Did the vet put Frankie on any antibiotic?

I think it would be wonderful for you to get a Cayuga. The more the merrier. On really nice days take the ducklings out to meet Frankie once you know she isn't contagious. That way once they are old enough to be outside for good they will all know each other. You could make a little fenced in area for the ducklings so they can play on the ground and Frankie can be close to them.
Bless her heart she will be so happy to have more in her flock. it will take time of course but they will all end up being one sweet flock.
Did the vet put Frankie on any antibiotic?
I thought long and hard all day, and I know this makes me sound crazy, but we're going to stick with Frankie's two new friends for now because my heart just isn't ready for a baby Cayuga yet.
The vet didn't give Frankie any antibiotics. I went over all of the meds that my old vet gave me for Grace, and he told me to keep an eye on Frankie. He thinks she's getting over whatever it was that she had.

The new babies:
Demeter is the Welsh (goddess that grieved heavily over the loss of her daughter, and she's the goddess of farm and agriculture) and Kijora is the Rouen (duck god that cursed the people that didn't honor the duck's spirit that it hunted for food)

Attachments

• received_524019152734603.jpeg
    received_524019152734603.jpeg
    397.6 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom