Any advice re my injured chicken???

lastchickenstanding

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Was late locking up the chicken coop this evening. Heard a tremendous ruckus and went out to find one hen in great distress. Very vocal, etc. Brought her into the house and calmed her down. Slight bleeding around the top of the head which was treated with neosporin. Bottom of the beak/jaw appears to POSSIBLY out of whack but hard to tell. It's possible that it was damaged or broken (???). Any thoughts or recommendations (other than to lock up the hens at dusk)?

It looks like you're doin ok right now. Check thats shes eating and drinking, and that she can walk (possible head trauma), keep her in the house and make sure shes warm. Post pictures of her injuries so that more experienced chickeners can asses.
Do you know what got her? check for infections/swelling.
Yogurt may also help her fight infection, plus chickens love it.
Keep her injuries clean and free of infection.
Good luck!!

We think it was a raccoon. We saw a raccoon in the outside enclosure a few nights ago, but the dog chased it away. They're in an enclosed area and get locked into their houses at night. I just checked on her (she's in the bathtub with lots of towels and a small bowl of water). She stood up on her own and her face doesn't look as swollen as earlier. It appears now that she has a small puncture on the side of her face as well as the jaw problem and bloodied red thing on top of her head. I also notice some blood under her wing (she's molting on top of it all!) I'll post a couple of picts in the morning. Thank you for your advice on the yogurt. It's so nice to know there's a community of caring people out there!

Not so well. She's having problems breathing. I think the puncture wounds to her neck may have penetrated her breathing tube. When she inhales, she makes a weazing sound and all of her skin gets sucked tightly to her neck and around her chin. Every couple of minutes she appears to be swallowing and closes her eyes as if in pain. There's also something very strange happening with her crop. It looks as though her crop rises up about 2 inches, moves around a bit and then goes back down. I don't know if it is her crop but if it's something else, I can't imagine what it would be.
A nurse was here for dinner and watched her for a while. She said it was possible she had a punctured lung or other part of her respiratory system.
We fed her yogurt but she wouldn't eat it. Then I tried some rehydrated corn chowder with some very small fresh bread crumbs and she ate as best as she could. Her bottom jaw is definately broken and although she was able to get some of the chowder down (it was the consistency of a slightly firm oatmeal) she was not doing so well with it. She won't sit or lay down. I'm not sure if it's because it's too difficult to breath. I've heard of some really miraculous chicken injury recovery stories so I have hope, but I don't know how much pain she's in.
What I'm weighing now is: is it possible that she'll recover and be able to eat regular food if her jaw doesn't heal properly and is she in a great amount of pain.
sad.png

I wish I knew the answers...

If she hasnt already recovered or otherwise, I'd put her out of her misery. I'm sorry I havnt been following the post, I was away for a few days. She sounds like shes in a lot of pain, and it might just be better to end it.
If she has already gone, then I am so sorry for your loss - loosing an animal is incredibly painful
hugs.gif

I think that the raccons teeth would have carried infections - - - it happens all the time with cats.

Just bear in mind that my opinion may not be the best one in general, or the best one for you.

hit.gif

Well, funny you should say that. I have an appt. with the vet to put her down in an hour. Although she can breathe normally now, she can't eat due to her broken jaw. The food goes in her beak but then falls right out again--maybe its that she can't swallow it. To add to that, a very reputable teaching vet hospital in the area (UC Davis) said she may have contracted communicable diseases from the raccoon (my dog vet thinks it was a fox due to the quickness the attacking animal left when we ran out there) and most likely hen has an infection that needs treatment.

As I can't hand feed her and I can't put her back out with the others, it's time to say goodbye.

And because we were exposed to a slobbery, bloody mess after she was mauled, both my husband and I are now getting rabies shots at the recommendation of both the CDC and the State Health Board. They are painful shots, they're not the worst shots I've ever received.

I guess it would have been a good idea to have worn gloves when handling her. Hindsight...

Thank you for your email.

Back
Top Bottom