Any dog lovers that can help me with this one?

They do not look old enough for Frontline. I would guess that they are between 6 and 8 weeks of age. Give them a good bath with a dish detergent (they kind used to hand wash dishes not the stuff put into machine) like palmolive or any alkaline oil based soap like castile soap (Dr. Bonner). Go through with a flea comb on a white towel of sheet to collect the fleas. This should get most of the fleas.

If this doesn't work, dust them with DE. It may take a few dustings once a day a few days in a row to work.

Please, do not use any chemical flea products on them. They are waaayyy tooo young. It could do serious and irreversal harm or kill them. We lost a puppy once to a flea dip.

Call your vet and make an appointment to get them checked out. They still look healthy, but still need a look over. I assume that you found them right after they were dumped. What is wrong with people? Why not fix pets instead of desposing of them on the side of the road. (A personal pet peeve of mine.) We have to deal with it all the time in the county I live in.

Good Luck and Congrads
DB

P.S. to my above post. If they have a hard time eating solid food, they maybe younger then 6 weeks. Perhaps about 4 1/2 to 5 weeks. Puppies start walking and eating solid food at that time.

*Feed them some dry puppy food mixed w/warm water, canned puppy food and raw egg whites, and cottage cheese. Make sure they drink plenty of water. Cows milk may give them diarhhea.*

I would keep it simple to start out with... only water over dry food. When they have recovered from the stress of being pick up and rescued, in a car, now they are in a strange place, getting a bath, you get the idea. I would be wary of raw egg whites.. until their gut has enough good bacteria to deal with that. Easy way to get that going is yogurt. A couple of tablespoons each for a few days and they will be able to better handle that. But take it easy on them the first week or so. Once they are wormed it will be a different world!

Susan

Any suggestions on how to deal with the ticks? When I was a kid I remember my mom would use rubbing alcohol to remove them... Im not sure if that is still a good idea?

Im getting their baths ready then I will work on feeding them...

We live in south Georgia... I shutter at the thought of what would have happened to them had we not found them! Did I mention... there are Gators here!!! eeeeeekkkkkk!!! I am just sick at the thought of someone dumping puppies like this!!!

I'll throw in my two cents althought it sounds like you are getting some good advice here. I'm a vet and the only thing I would add is that you coud add some canned food to the softened dry food and warm it in the microwave a bit to get them eating. Eating frequently is important to keep the blood sugar up in very young pups. If you open their mouths and smear a little food on the tongue that can jump start them.

It is very hard to say how old they are without knowing the bred a little. That coud be a five week old pit bull cross or a fifteen week old chihuahua cross! I would have thought between six and eight weeks. Are the baby teeth fully emerged?

Good on you for saving them! Loads of luck finding them homes.

D

Whoops, I missed your last post.

You can pull the ticks off manually and, if they'll eat, I would feed them before bathing.

smile.png
They were lucky to find you.

D

I have never seen so many fleas on a puppy... they were covered! Im a bit worried some of the fleas escaped in my house... ug! I will say Dawn worked great!!! I know we missed a few but I was shocked at how many came off. We took lots of pics and will post them soon.

I think someone answered this but I cant find it now. How often should I feed them? They gobbled the food right up... I took dry food (didnt have any canned) put warm water in it and let it soak a bit then mushed it up. I gave them about a 1/2 cup. But Im not sure if I should feed them more now or wait?

Also one pup has strange blisters on her belly??? I will post pics but any thought as to what that could be?

Oh and I might add after further investigation... meaning MOM finally looked... we have one girl and one boy not two girls. lol

Debby10 I think we got all the ticks off and did feed them before the bath! Thanks for that advice it worked great!

Thank you all again! What a night!! All this with my kids running around toooo excited about the pups and my husband is at work all night! Im ready for some Calgon!
wink.png
But seriously... I just could not have left them there. I cant imagine how anyone could dump these like this... Im sure glad we came along when we did! And I thought I was just going out for pizza!

Is your other dog treated with advantage?
The fleas should die I guess.
Feed 5 or 6 times a day if you think they are less than 6 weeks.
If you can get to tractor supply, get some unimilk and mix that up and moisten the puppy food with that.
Good Luck!
p.s. I'm sure glad it's you and not me! LOL

I just wanted to post an update on the puppy's. We made a trip to the vet today and they have been wormed. Other than worms they appear to be healthy.
clap.gif
I plan on getting shots from the feed store. I may need help knowing what to get.. its been a few years since we had any puppy's around.
idunno.gif
The pups are already perking up! They are very playful and come when we call them although we havnt named them yet! They still eat like they are starving... I hope Im feeding them enough. They seem to like the food mixed with water so I have stuck with that.

I am wanting to find out what mixed breeds they may be. The vet says they are about 10 weeks old and look like they have some type of bull dog in them. But said its hard to tell. And he thought they would get to be about 50 lbs. Anyone have any thoughts??? I have more pictures to post... I'll try not to put up Tooo many... but I do love taking pics.

Back
Top Bottom