Any "duck behaviorists" in the house?

Amykins

Crowing
10 Years
May 11, 2013
It's no surprise by now I've got two awesome lil' indoor call ducks who don't exactly get along. I know why. Wobbles didn't see another duck until he was two, and in his head, this is HIS territory. Bean was imprinted on other ducks but is bonded very closely to me, but she still knows she's a duck. She's scared of Wobbles, but clearly wants to get closer to him, since she keeps testing his patience by crossing the boundaries she knows are there, LOL! She's stood her ground a couple times but when Wobs' head goes down, she books it squawking all the way! Cheeky lil' coward. :p

Now, I keep being told that next year when Bean goes into breeding mode they'll probably bond together no problem. Obviously I'd never let him hurt her, but I reprimand him when he starts to chase her in an effort to protect Bean from any kind of harassment, but my question is: Should I be?

I know ducks have a sort of pecking order, and I guess I wonder if I'm impeding the process by always acting like a warden of sorts. Should I let them have their minor squabbles for the sake of long-term peace, or am I doing the right thing by stepping in at the first sign of trouble?

In a way you need to let them work it out, as long as Wobbles doesn't injure her which i know you'd never let happen. Drakes are so full of themselves sometimes I will see my drake standing on top of one of his girls and he has 5 now, just standing there kind of biting her head. I have no earthly idea what it all means but she comes out not hurt at all. Mating is also rough for the duck but they manage to come out of it all good too. There is such a thing as mating then it is over mating which I think you'd know pretty fast which was which although duck mating is pretty rough. Main thing is making sure Bean doesn't get too many feathers pulled out when mating starts so that she gets an actual wound. losing some feathers is natural the drake grabs hold to hold on. but when they get down to skin then someone needs a time out just to give the female a breather and regrow her feathers or at least give the skin time to heal.

I think they will need some time to get to know each other then by next seasons mating season they will be ready to begin their life together as a pair.

Wobbles isn't any different than any other drake his age they all are hormone driven and have only one thing on their mind.

When he does put his head down and starts after her have you just let him to see how far it goes? is bean a large as Wobbles?

I do tend to intervene more - and yet, as Miss Lydia points out, some of the mating behaviors are not sweet. For now I think I would do what you are doing, Amykins, and let Bean know that you are her protector. I am Romy's protector. When I let all the ducks together, if our Bean (who is a drake) goes after Romy and she does not want his attention, she knows to run to me and I intercept the drake.

Now, there are times when she and Bean sneak off to the pool for a little conjugal visit. That does not worry me. But I have seen Bean be rough with Romy, and not even actually be trying to copulate, just tread on her and wring her neck. Not allowed in my flock. Nope. He is not this way with Hazel and Carmella, his girls. So the trio (B,H,C) stay together most of the time - Bean does even get a few timeouts from H and C. Not often, once or twice a year.

In a way you need to let them work it out, as long as Wobbles doesn't injure her which i know you'd never let happen. Drakes are so full of themselves sometimes I will see my drake standing on top of one of his girls and he has 5 now, just standing there kind of biting her head. I have no earthly idea what it all means but she comes out not hurt at all. Mating is also rough for the duck but they manage to come out of it all good too. There is such a thing as mating then it is over mating which I think you'd know pretty fast which was which although duck mating is pretty rough. Main thing is making sure Bean doesn't get too many feathers pulled out when mating starts so that she gets an actual wound. losing some feathers is natural the drake grabs hold to hold on. but when they get down to skin then someone needs a time out just to give the female a breather and regrow her feathers or at least give the skin time to heal.

I think they will need some time to get to know each other then by next seasons mating season they will be ready to begin their life together as a pair.

Wobbles isn't any different than any other drake his age they all are hormone driven and have only one thing on their mind.

When he does put his head down and starts after her have you just let him to see how far it goes? is bean a large as Wobbles?

I appreciate your advice Lyds, I know you're as legit as they come! As for how they interact, it's run the gamut from him simply chasing her to full-on feather pulling. Before it was a big problem, I had to treat several broken blood feathers when it happened, so now I feel like I have to prevent that or else risk her being terrified of him forever. She's already a neurotic mess! Sometimes they get out of my direct line of sight and he'll grab her, sometimes he'll just sort of loom over her in a corner like a total jerk.

I'll try to give them a bit more space, but it sure is tough handling TWO house ducks that don't get along! x_x;;

I do tend to intervene more - and yet, as Miss Lydia points out, some of the mating behaviors are not sweet. For now I think I would do what you are doing, Amykins, and let Bean know that you are her protector. I am Romy's protector. When I let all the ducks together, if our Bean (who is a drake) goes after Romy and she does not want his attention, she knows to run to me and I intercept the drake.

Now, there are times when she and Bean sneak off to the pool for a little conjugal visit. That does not worry me. But I have seen Bean be rough with Romy, and not even actually be trying to copulate, just tread on her and wring her neck. Not allowed in my flock. Nope. He is not this way with Hazel and Carmella, his girls. So the trio (B,H,C) stay together most of the time - Bean does even get a few timeouts from H and C. Not often, once or twice a year.

Heee two Beans! <3 Bean does run to me sometimes, but not every time. She's still so tiny compared to Wobbles, even fully grown I think she's gonna be smaller than him. I guess I'm just gonna have to learn to hold a sort of balance between Wobbles running amok, and being a helicopter mom!

I appreciate your advice Lyds, I know you're as legit as they come! As for how they interact, it's run the gamut from him simply chasing her to full-on feather pulling. Before it was a big problem, I had to treat several broken blood feathers when it happened, so now I feel like I have to prevent that or else risk her being terrified of him forever. She's already a neurotic mess! Sometimes they get out of my direct line of sight and he'll grab her, sometimes he'll just sort of loom over her in a corner like a total jerk.

I'll try to give them a bit more space, but it sure is tough handling TWO house ducks that don't get along! x_x;;
I bet it is Amykins . I cannot imagine but having a huge Muscovy drake and one of his girls in here would be a bit much. l don't let my drake injure any of my girls and I monitor how much of their feathers are missing around their necks thankfully none have ever been plucked down to bare skin, [Wish I could say the same for my goose] and she keeps getting right back in the pool crazy thing. I don't interfere with normal duck drake behavior though like Opie standing on them I have seen this for 11 yrs and so far no one has been injured. I have never had a drake get a female down and just attack to attack though either. But I have stepped in when he got a little too carried away when a broody came outside for some R&R.
So anyway I think you'll just have to keep trying and as Bean matures and Wobbles gets use to her being there for good. Things hopefully will settle down some. and Peace will reign in the household. Can't wait to see them side by side enjoying each others company.

Thanks for the information in this thread!

I currently have 11 ducks.

The eldest two are Ivan and Ebony. Then came Speck and Pongo, who to my dismay turned out to be drakes. At first, no issue, because Ivan would run them off. But now, the three drakes and Ebony are the 4 musketeers. They don't seem to over-mate with Ebony, but have taken to tag-teaming my Wyandote hens, and Ivan and Speck have become soooooo very mean to the younger ones. To the point of drawing blood on three different ones, and tossing the infants around like rag dolls.

The teens are Fawnzie and Chippa (drake, hen)
The toddlers are Tyson, Charlie, and Jewels (thought drake, drake, and hen - but could be wrong by quack sounds)
The infants are Ginger and Pebbles. (vented females)

They've hurt Fawnzie, Tyson, and Charlie until they were a bloody mess. SMH.

For the most part, the younger ones try to keep their distance, but frequently both Ivan and Speck will run clear across property (3-4 acres worth) JUST to bully (especially Fawnzie).
I tend to scold them and shoo them off if I am close enough. At night, I keep them separated, same coop, but mesh between them.

So, from what I've read, this seems normal and will work itself out? Or do I just have one too many drakes?

I even have two pools at the moment so they don't drown each other, because Ivan is viscous in the water - seems he keeps their heads underwater for way too long. SMH. So, I break it up when I see this.

It seems your flock is fairly high risk for someone getting seriously hurt or killed - not that any individual duck is bad, but the combination and numbers have me concerned.

The things we can do are separate, bring in additional females, and rehome.

Back
Top Bottom