Any Fishing Enthusiasts here ?

Pics
I love fishing. When we rented a house on a lake for a few years we were always catching bass, sun fish and blue gill. We live on a river now and not that many fish live on our part or on our neighbor's part. I have caught bass and perch on the river. We live on the world's most crooked river.

I haven't done much fishing since I moved to Alabama in June 2013. I lived 29 years in Kodiak, Alaska, before retiring to Alabama, and I must admit I was spoiled by the variety and number of fish there. I fished for dolly varden, salmon (all 5 Pacific species), greenling, sea bass, cod, halibut (my wife once caught a 350 pounder from our boat), king, tanner and dungeness crab in the ocean, and rainbow trout in the inland lakes. Here the size and quality of the fish do not really entice me. Perch-related fish such as black bass, bluegill and shellcrackers are all head, guts, bones and scales. As to their flavor, I find it really bland, nothing like saltwater fish. I do realize that the Gulf is pretty close to where I live, and that there are walleyes and striped bass (I like to eat both of them) in some lakes, but I don't know much about the places where they are, how to fish for them, etc. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who fishes there. Same for the Gulf. I don't know anything about the fishes of the Gulf, how to recognize them, what's legal to keep and what's not, seasons, etc. So the only fishing I do occasionally around here is for catfish, on the bottom--with bait. It's boring, though, but I love eating catfish (no scales, easy to fillet and bone out, and great flavor). I miss fly-fishing for salmon and dollies at forty o fifty yards from Kodiak bears fishing on the opposite side of the river that made fishing more interesting. I miss it a lot.

Back
Top Bottom