Any Fishing Enthusiasts here ?

Pics
finally did some fishing, over the weekend, caught 3 rainbow trout ate one and threw the other 2 back. (was pretty good eating), went for walleye, caught nothing then went for pike and still caught nothing.
I fished for pike and walleye when I lived in Montana. Walleye is pretty good when fried in beer batter. Pike is OK, but all those Y bones are a bother. You can only enjoy the rather large ones after you fillet them and cut out the strips with the Y bones. But the small ones (which in Montana we called "hammer handles") are almost inedible because of those bones. I once caught a pike that was 37 1/2 inches long. It literally jumped out of the water to grab the lure that was already a couple of feet above the surface. It scared the bejeezus out of me, and fortunately the drag released line or it would have snapped it immediately, with only a few feet of line between it and the tip of the rod. I remember I was using a Dardevle spoon with a frogskin pattern on it.

I fished for pike and walleye when I lived in Montana. Walleye is pretty good when fried in beer batter. Pike is OK, but all those Y bones are a bother. You can only enjoy the rather large ones after you fillet them and cut out the strips with the Y bones. But the small ones (which in Montana we called "hammer handles") are almost inedible because of those bones. I once caught a pike that was 37 1/2 inches long. It literally jumped out of the water to grab the lure that was already a couple of feet above the surface. It scared the bejeezus out of me, and fortunately the drag released line or it would have snapped it immediately, with only a few feet of line between it and the tip of the rod. I remember I was using a Dardevle spoon with a frogskin pattern on it.
walleye is pretty good (don't like beer batter as i dislike the taste of beer) but i prefer garlic and herbs, but for pike you just got to fillet them right, i prefer whats called the five fillet method (there is a video by i want to say Yukon fish and game or either Alaskan fish and game on cleaning them to remove the y bones) and i think pike is better then walleye when you clean them to remove the y bones, also smoked pike is amazing. (i think the 2-5 pounds are the best eating or that's what i was told)

..........over the years I've had a lot of funny pike stories ........ once my friend was hooking a bobber on his line. Dead Smelt was hanging over the side of the boat not in the water.
A 38 inch pike jumped out of the water grabbed the smelt.... ripped the bobber out of his hand. Was freaking hilarious.

Hate to see this thread die out. But here is my fishing story.

Went up north (in saskatchewan) for the day and finally got my first splake. We went to a small fishing lake and i only got one in 4 hours of fishing which was a splake. My grandpa got both a little rainbow and a splake. Friend of ours got one rainbow. So does any one here know how to cook splake? Have two to cook up and any tips would be helpful.

Hate to see this thread die out. But here is my fishing story.

Went up north (in saskatchewan) for the day and finally got my first splake. We went to a small fishing lake and i only got one in 4 hours of fishing which was a splake. My grandpa got both a little rainbow and a splake. Friend of ours got one rainbow. So does any one here know how to cook splake? Have two to cook up and any tips would be helpful.
Cook splake like you would any other trout.....I usually grill mine.....

5528.jpeg

A Decent Pike...... Having a good walleye year here.....

Wow, that must have been a fun catch! I'm from the gulf coast so I have to ask, what is a splake??
Splake is a man made crossbreed between a Lake trout and a Brook trout..... They get bigger than s Brook trout grow faster and are easier to catch. Are okay eating..... Better than a lake trout but not as good as a Brook trout.
Technically they are a char not a trout.
I believe the only true native trout in the USA are rainbow trout. All other native species are char.

Back
Top Bottom