Any Gamers Here?

Pics
I've heard a lot of good things about subnautica too.

It is very good. Definitely one of my favorite games ever. I won't say much because of spoilers but going through and learning about the planet and solving the various mysteries is amazing.

Below Zero just had a major update and I almost broke my rule and fired it up, haha. But I want to be able to do the story all at once without waiting for updates, so I resisted.

I have a switch but when BOTW came out I didn't. New animal crossing is good but I burned out on it so fast. ;_;

Amusingly right now my partner G is going through original FFVII on the switch. He just beat the remake and wanted to compare and contrast.

New animal crossing is good but I burned out on it so fast
Yeah.....that's kinda animal crossing.
It's great for a while.
Since time passes even when you don't play, it makes it a bit of a chore.
My elder brother bought it so I've played it a bit. I have New Leaf, Wild world, and City folk. But one animal crossing game is very much like the other.
DS seem ancient now.

Minecraft is okay. Used to play servers until I got extremely salty.
BOTW is nice and easy, makes me feel good. Haha. Flurry rushing is satisfying.

The free versions are garbage and don't contain even a fraction of the real game as far as I'm aware. Also, it plays differently 1P than on a server but...

First, yeah it IS like digital legos, but the pieces are endless and it's got no mess. Legos are a lot of fun and kind of expensive - minecraft is $30 for endless supplies. $30 of legos is, well, insufficient. But it also has a really intense mechanical system too, so it's less like legos and more like the worlds most intensive Erector Set. You don't get to just build nice looking buildings, though many people do, you can also make intense works of mechanical ingenuity. You can build elevators and automatic farming systems that react to light sources, walking combat robots and one person even made a (semi)functional gameboy on theirs.
Some people also take the "it's just legos" aspect to a whole new level. There's lifesize (relative to in game) models of entire cities that you can download and go exploring in and walking through. You can visit Notre Dame or walk through a life-size replica of Jurassic Park or Machu Pichu. There's huge maps designed to be absolute joys just to explore and experience. It's really hard to call something that intense and beautiful anything other than a work of art. (Also there's plenty of original works of art in the game too.)

Then there's the "goals" aspect of the game. There's a number of temples/dungeons auto generated across the map with treasure in them to loot, villages to find, monsters to beat, etc.
But there IS a real final boss. In fact there's two bosses. One of them is the official final boss called the Ender Dragon. To get to him is kind of an arduous process but you basically have to kill a lot of high level enemies, collect enough of a special stone to lead you to a portal that you put more stones in, then it takes you to the boss in a special arena. And he's not easy, so you need good equipment to get there/win. Then there's a second boss called the Wither which has a similarly drawn out process to summon but once you do is much more manipulable because you summon him into an environment of your choosing rather than having to go to a specialized arena.

If you branch out online, there's the community, PVP, towny, and mod aspects of the game. Interacting with other people is nice. Some mods allow you to cast spells, level up, explore a story, etc. Some servers have specific community events like "This week we're going to kill the ender dragon but 2Xs harder" or "We made a bunch of hidden boxes in the ground with treasure! Scavenger hunt time!", etc. And on PVP maps, making sure your base is safe and secure is a goal in and of itself. Lots of people organize into clans and go raid other peoples bases and steal them and launch into competitive wars etc. And if you are playing on a more friendly server it's a lot of fun to show off those works of art and engineering mentioned above, even allowing you to collect rare resources and trade them to other people who are better at other aspects of the game from you or to achieve a very large goal.
Plus, it's always a work in progress, they're always adding new content into the game. Last year they updated the oceans for example so now there's sunken pirate ships to explore and dolphins to tame and ride on and underwater zombie temples and coral reefs and stuff. They also updated it with wandering NPC raiders who come and try to steal your things and kill your villagers.

So... There's a lot of content on offer in Minecraft and while it's very lego-ish on the surface the deeper you dig the more options are available. IMO, as long as you know what sort of experience you want out of the game there's something for everyone in it.
Oh...ok...I think I get it...

...its World of Warcraft + Legos. No actual plot to follow unless you're a meta gamer and big bosses with the option of raiding and PVP.

Idk still not very appealing especially since the graphics look like something my 6 year old nephew drew.

I have a switch but when BOTW came out I didn't. New animal crossing is good but I burned out on it so fast. ;_;

Amusingly right now my partner G is going through original FFVII on the switch. He just beat the remake and wanted to compare and contrast.
Honestly...did not like BOTW like I thought I would. Ive played all the zelda games. After I played BOTW I immediately switched to Windfish and my anger subsided. My ranking is as follows from the 5 I've played recently:

1. Twilight princess
2. Majoras mask
3. Minish cap
4. Windwaker
5. BOTW

As frustrating as Windwaker was...BOTW takes the cake. Heck it takes the bakery. I finally get a good weapon...and it breaks. You cant even repair your weapons. No potions...you have to cook them. Dont get me started on the broken rupee system. Oh and the prize for collecting all the poo? A giant turd. Botw is a giant turd.

I loved Duck Hunt growing up as far as retro gaming. Cant go wrong with Bad Dudes either. The first Zelda game I couldnt play until I was older. It was too hard for young little me.
NES was never popular here in the UK, it was microcomputers like zx spectrum, Sinclair and Amiga, my favourite Zelda is a link to the past followed by wind waker.

Back
Top Bottom