Any good recipes for habanero's?

Hoosiermomma

Songster
10 Years
Jun 6, 2009
S.E Ind
Besides chili, do you have any other recipes for habanero's?
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Habaneros? Is that what you mean? If you do a google search and look for anything related to Chile Pepper magazine, you'll find a bunch. I love that magazine!

Last edited:
We make a sauce my friends call Pot Of Gold.

15-20 Habaneros, seeded and white membrane removed ( wear thick plastic gloves! Don't touch eyes or any thing else!)
10 baby carrots or 3-4 regular size.
4-6 garlic cloves
4 tbs olive oil
6 tbs apple cidar vinegar
salt to taste
Put in a blender (I have a mini Oscar)
puree or blend until it is a thick sauce.
somad.gif

we like hot stuff so we put it on scrambled eggs or we mix it with mayo or sour cream for a dipping sauce for fish or oysters etc.

This stuff last for ever. We still are using what I made 2 summers ago. Of course a tiny bit goes a long way!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
That's a GREAT recipe! one caution though- after blending, give it a few minutes to settle down before taking the top off the processor- the fumes will kill ya if ya don't wait!

Here is a fav of ours.
We serve it with cream cheese and wheat thins! Also good as a barbaque glaze and yummy on egg rolls! It's hot and sweet & sour, but the heat doesn't last long or impair your taste buds !LOL! Make sure your Habs are orange!

Big Batch Habanero Gold (Carol calls it Hot N Sweet Confetti Jelly)
1 cup minced dried apricots (1/8" dice)
Note: Could use dried peaches or pears instead.
1 1/4 total cups minced red sweet pepper and minced red onion (1/8" dice), approximately half-and-half.
1/4 cup Habanero peppers
Note: For extra-hot, increase Habaneros to 1/2 cup and reduce red sweet pepper/red onion combination to 1 cup total.
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
6 cups sugar
1 3-oz. pouch liquid pectin (I used Ball, which I've decided I like better than Certo.)
Prep apricots, peppers and onion. Place in a large, stainless or other non-reactive pot. Add sugar and vinegar. Bring to the boil and cook 5 minutes. Pull off the burner; allow to cool, cover and let sit overnight.
Stir occasionally if convenient.
Note: 4-6 hours would be plenty, so the time doesn't need to be any greater than the soaking time for apricots in the original recipe.
Next day, bring the mixture back to the boil. Stir in liquid pectin. Boil hard 1 minute. Pull off the heat. If necessary, skim foam. (I did need to skim a bit.) Let cool 2 minutes, stirring to distribute solids. Pour into jars. Stir to distribute and remove air bubbles. Do the usual with the jars and lids, BWB 10 minutes.
When jars are sealed, "agitate" to distribute solids throughout the jelly.
Yield: 6 8-oz. jars.

If you've got an excess of tomatos, make salsa!

Tomatos, onion, garlic, cilantro, chili in portions acording to taste.

I like to make chunky salsa to eat fresh, and find that a puree holds up better if you freeze it.

We have LOTS of habaneros this year (DH is a habi freak). Found a great Mango Habanero Sauce recipe @ hotsauceaddicts.com
It's more of "dipping/basting/glazing" sauce than a "sprinkling" one & it's got a kick, but not so so hot...even I can eat it.

Mango Habanero Sauce

1 T Vegetable Oil
4 Ataulfo Mangos, peeled & diced
1/4 c Onion, chopped
1 Dried Habanero Chile
1/4 c Lemon Juice
1/4 c Ketchup
3 T Sugar, Salt & Pepper

Heat oil in a saucepan, add mangos, onions, & habanero. Cook until onions are soft & translucent. Add lemon juice, ketchup & sugar, stirring till mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer for 30 minutes. Blend with stick blender till smooth. Season with salt & pepper.

Note: I have a hard time following a recipe...I think we used 4 fresh habaneros & half as many regular mangos...Ataulfo Mangos are the small ones. Just play with it till you get the heat you want...have some extra mangos on hand
smile.png
They're affordable if you get them at Sams.

I canned ours in 1/2 pints, processed in a water bath for 20 minutes (though 15 minutes should do it). Just make sure you leave AT LEAST 1/2 inch head space...the stuff kind of expands.

Quote:
Yes that's what I meant to type, senior moment.
roll.png
I love eating them straight out of the garden but I am really excited to try some different recipes. This is our first year with them and can't wait to get started~
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom