Any guess on Oscar's mom? *Video*

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
Oscar is a true barnyard mix so this is just for fun! I really enjoy learning about breed features/traits that people point out. So if you would so graciously oblige......

The rooster is a rescue mix. See photo.

Possible hens: Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Wyandotte, Light Brahma, Plymouth Rock, Welsummer, Brown Leghorn, Speckled Sussex, Easter Egger

Young photo of Oscar and a video of him today at 18 weeks.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201021-152841_Etsy.jpg
    Screenshot_20201021-152841_Etsy.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20201223_164949186.jpg
    PXL_20201223_164949186.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20201223_164933853.jpg
    PXL_20201223_164933853.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 8
Oscar is a true barnyard mix so this is just for fun! I really enjoy learning about breed features/traits that people point out. So if you would so graciously oblige......

Possible hens: Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Wyandotte, Light Brahma, Plymouth Rock, Welsummer, Brown Leghorn, Speckled Sussex, Easter Egger

Oscar's mother is not a Light Brahma.
--Light Brahmas usually pass feathered feet to their offspring.
--Light Brahmas usually pass pea comb to their offspring.
--Oscar has a golden color. Gold is recessive to silver, so him looking gold means he inherited the gold gene from both parents. But Light Brahmas are silver, not gold, so a Light Brahma cannot be Oscar's mother.

Oscar's mother is probably not a Wyandotte.
Wyandottes are supposed to have rose combs, and should pass those rose combs to their chicks. But Oscar does not have a rose comb.
Wyandotte parents do sometimes produce chicks with single combs, which is why I said "probably" not a Wyandotte mother, instead of being entirely sure.

Oscar's mother is probably not an Easter Egger, because so many Easter Eggers have pea combs, and pass those to their chicks. Oscar does not have a pea comb. (But there are some Easter Eggers with not-pea combs, so I cannot completely rule out the Easter Eggers.)

It looks like Oscar has white legs. Do you know what color legs his father had?
Orpingtons and Sussex should have white legs, Easter Eggers often have green legs, and the other breeds on your list should have yellow legs.

I'm going to go on a limb and say that the Rhode Island Red in your list isn't a R.I. Red but is a New Hampshire and if so then that is the mom..

Your bird in question looks just like a typical hatchery New Hampshire except for his White legs.

Oscar's mother is not a Light Brahma.
--Light Brahmas usually pass feathered feet to their offspring.
--Light Brahmas usually pass pea comb to their offspring.
--Oscar has a golden color. Gold is recessive to silver, so him looking gold means he inherited the gold gene from both parents. But Light Brahmas are silver, not gold, so a Light Brahma cannot be Oscar's mother.

Oscar's mother is probably not a Wyandotte.
Wyandottes are supposed to have rose combs, and should pass those rose combs to their chicks. But Oscar does not have a rose comb.
Wyandotte parents do sometimes produce chicks with single combs, which is why I said "probably" not a Wyandotte mother, instead of being entirely sure.

Oscar's mother is probably not an Easter Egger, because so many Easter Eggers have pea combs, and pass those to their chicks. Oscar does not have a pea comb. (But there are some Easter Eggers with not-pea combs, so I cannot completely rule out the Easter Eggers.)

It looks like Oscar has white legs. Do you know what color legs his father had?
Orpingtons and Sussex should have white legs, Easter Eggers often have green legs, and the other breeds on your list should have yellow legs.
I love the specific details given in your post. Thanks so much! This is the reason I started this thread, for educational info on traits of breeds☺️ I really hope others can gain the knowledge that I do with all the answers given!

I'll be posting his sister soon. Same rooster but definitely a different hen. She has the roosters strange comb that has got to be a distinct feature inherited from somewhere.

I'm going to go on a limb and say that the Rhode Island Red in your list isn't a R.I. Red but is a New Hampshire and if so then that is the mom..

Your bird in question looks just like a typical hatchery New Hampshire except for his White legs.
Thank you! And yep, feather color definitely matches. But is leg color or feather color more dominant?

Thank you! And yep, feather color definitely matches. But is leg color or feather color more dominant?
Leg color is genetically simpler:
white is dominant over yellow (so if a bird gets each from one parent, you see white legs)

light (white or yellow) is dominant over dark (blue or green)

a few feather color genes can affect the leg color too, but I'm not seeing any of those on Oscar.

Feather color is affected by a lot more genes. So for two chickens to have the same feather color, it is likely they have a lot of genes in common, so more likely to be related to each other.

Back
Top Bottom