Any guesses? Is this barred rock a "he"?

Just look at my profile picture, that is a barred rock hen and she got a red comb before all the others! I thought SHE was a roo until she layed an egg
lol.png
so just give it some time, one will eventualy crow or lay an egg. p.s. my roo was already looking like he was more white with black stripes by that age, and his comb didn't get red till 5 months or so.

That is what you get when you have a BR cross cockerel. It's a male, but it's not a pure BR. Could be a black sex link, which has a barred mother. That's why it's super dark, most likely. There are very dark cockerels on occasion, but more likely, you have a 1/2 BR there. For example, I had some accidental Silver Phoenix roo over BR hens (supposed to be pure BRs, but oops!). The males looked almost identical to yours except they had the longer tails of the Phoenix. Their sister was solid black. At first, we thought they were BR pullets, till the combs turned bright pink at 3 weeks old.

Hope you are right, I am thinking mine might be a roo because the comb is pinking up.....

Thanks for all your replies. I felt that most signs pointed towards "she" except for that comb...I will update in a few months when he/she crows or lays an egg!!
smile.png

I also am thinking a she, I've got 4 Barreds and they all have different size combs. One of my girls has an enormous comb. But I think that the dark legs give her away.

I say a black sex link roo. I bought 6 of what I was told was barred rocks. 5 boys and one girl. Yeah thats my luck. But the boys were all darker and had a lot of blackwash on the legs but got combs early except for one. That one and the little girl was infact barred rocks but the others were sex links.

Can I just add that I have on chick at about 14 weeks who looked like that one when small and he/she is a Marans, can someone tell me the difference please??
Also worried now that mine is a girl as here i am fattening him up to eat!!!!

Back
Top Bottom