Any Hawaii Folks on BYC?

Hey everyone! Brand new to the forum and am still in the planning stages... My husband finally caved on my desire to have chickens. We are in Honolulu but our HOA says no chickens so we will be on the down low with a small coop and bribing neighbors!

Planning on building a coop next weekend and going and picking out some chicks with the keiki soon. Where is the best place to get chicks on island? Don't want to order because picking them out in person is half the fun! We are looking for calmer egg layers, any suggestions?

Aloha,

Welcome to BYC! Red Stars are sex links where you can tell the sex as a chick. I Think they have them at Kaneʻohe Feed Supply every once in a while. I have 4 females and they are mellow. I think I also saw some on Craigʻslist.

I have some Barred rock chicks to sell but Red Stars have a better temperament.

I Have very special chickens. They lay blue ish eggs and dark brown eggs. I have Cream Legbars, Araucanas and Black copper Marans. Maybe you could get one of those later on down the road.

I also feed fermented feed. Check it out on the search engine above.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Take care, Puhi

Aloha All,

I am new to BYC but not new to raising chicks. My sons both raised chickens for years when we lived on Kauai. We had 4 white cornish chicks that all ended up to be giant roosters around 2 1/2 feet tall. We also had Rhode Island Reds which laid the best eggs and of course some roosters too.

My youngest son just picked up 6 chicks from Asagi 2 weeks ago. 3 are Gold Star and 3 are supposed to be Ameraucana but I think they are Easter Eggers which is fine too.

I hope this thread is active!

Aloha, Jane

Last edited:
Aloha Puhi,

Thanks for the welcome, and the information. I will see if I can locate that thread. I need to figure out the sex before we get too attached to the Roos!

Jane

Hello from the island of Kaua'i, where we have so many chickens running loose already, people from elsewhere might wonder how we can tell our own flocks from the ones that wander randomly by, or why we keep chickens at all.

I've been wondering what to do about the many troublesome roosters that are attracted to our free ranging flocks, and basically terrorize them. I've got 5 sex link pullets, one feral hen that we've tamed enough to hand feed and pet, and 5 Ameraucana/Easter Egger chicks that we got from Kawamura Farms on May 1st. The feral roosters routinely fly into our yard and chase our hen around and rip out her feathers/tear her comb when mounting her, and they peck and spur our pullets, and chase them around. Unless we're there to swat them with the broom or something, they keep coming back.

We've been trapping the roosters and relocating them, but invariably, new roosters arrive within the next 72 hours. Short of keeping the hen and pullets in runs/the coop 24/7 (which doesn't work all that well, as they go right up to the wire's mesh and threaten the pullets and hen, which makes them run for cover), any other advice on how to deal with the marauding roosters?

Back
Top Bottom