Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    They are Ann Clark cookie cutters, ordered from Amazon. Reviews suggest the Hen is the best shaped one compared to others they have tried. They also have a rooster - may get it later if I like these…lol.

I have recipes, but these come with recipe for cookie and icing, folks say are very simple and good.

One review was interesting, she made hens for her child's 4H club and colored some of icing to accent beaks, add eyes and I think the combs/wattles. Could waste hours ( fun) decorating them?

I think these will be less frustrating than trying to squeeze too thick cheese straw dough thru my mirro press..[​IMG]

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I am dehydrating bananas and have Buttermilk blue berry banana bread in the oven!

3. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    @ronott1

Blueberry, banana, buttermilk bread... sounds really good…

4. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I follow this recipe but divide it into two regular loaf pans:

BLUEBERRY BUTTERMILK BANANA BREAD
    Printed from COOKS.COM

1 stick butter, melted
    3/4 c. sugar
    3/4 c. brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1/2 c. buttermilk
    3 over ripe bananas
    3 c. flour
    1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 1/2 c. frozen blueberries
    1/2 c. chopped walnuts
    Mix butter, sugar and brown sugar together. Add eggs, buttermilk. Mix well. Add bananas, mashed. Mix together flour, soda, salt and add to banana mixture. Add blueberries--DO NOT OVERMIX!! Add walnuts.

Pour 1/2 of mixture into a regular loaf pan--greased and floured. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of brown sugar across top of mixture. Bake at 325 degrees for 70-80 minutes for single pan. 60 to 70 minutes for two. Cool in pans 10 minutes.

5. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Thanks, I have saved it in my recipes. Definitely a try in the future.

6. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Ron,
    I made your beef stroganoff yesterday for DH's birthday...he loved it! Thanks for providing the recipe! [​IMG]

7. isabella2014

isabella2014 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2014
    Ron,
    Thanks so much for Carls Friend website.I sent off for my yeast.
    I have been trying to do some research on how the old timers kept their sourdough without refrigeration. Not sure if that path would work for me however I was wondering if the purist keep their starters at room temperatures?
    Do you keep your starter at room temp?
    Really excited about learning more.

8. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    If I am baking regularly - like once a week or more, my starter sits out on the counter.
    If I only bake once a month, I put it in the fridge.
    Once I have lost my weight and am on maintenance, I will start baking more often. Hopefully, I will have a job soon and be able to pawn excess off onto unsuspecting co-workers.
    I miss my neighbor in Wyoming, I usually took the second loaf of bread to her for her enjoyment.

1 person likes this.
  9. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    You have to warm the starter up before using it so it has to be taken out of the fridge at least several hours before using it.
    This is the perfect answer! The more starter is used the better is works and tastes too.

10. K-Kritter

K-Kritter Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2015
    I was hoping to share that I made an awesome pie for our event on Saturday but like my life goes sometimes, I bought all the supplies to make a Classic Chess Pie and everything is still in the pantry. By the time we were done with our traditional Saturday morning trip to Chick-Fil-A with the kids, some other errands, haircuts for the boys, I realized I would never have time so I ended up purchasing a pie for the grocery store. I will try to get the Chess Pie made one day this week. But the event was fun, there was pizza and a ton of other pies and I got to meet some new friends!! Still trying to read through past post, but there is so much information and SOOO many wonderful recipes, my reading is going very slow!!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by