Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    The only flop I ever had from a KA recipe was the Chess Pie. I would love a recipe that turns out.

2. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    1 person likes this.
  3. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Anyone made Linzer type cookies?

Got my cookie cutters yesterday. The chick fits inside the egg cutter. Want to combine those two and thinking about a "sandwich" type cookie. Would cut 2 eggs for each, and cut out - discard the chick from the top one. Once baked. put a layer of filler between that would show thru the chick shape.

What do ya think? Any ideas.

Not sure what will look the best showing thru, maybe a chocolate frosting?
    Or just a regular vanilla with food coloring icings?

4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Not quite Linzer cookies but I have made Peanut butter and jelly cookies--Make a depression in peanut butter cookie dough after flattening with a fork and then put a drop of jelly or jam inside.

They are very tasty!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA

Those sound really good. Thanks for reply.

On more reflection: My new cutters doubled would be quite a bit of cookie. Think I will try cutting the egg shaped cookie…set the chick cutter on top and use it as a stencil to add colored sugar and then bake. Don't know if the chick form will be sharp enough…will try this weekend and may post for comments.

6. K-Kritter

K-Kritter Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2015
    @sunflour - I used to make a Chess Pie a long time ago, haven't made one in years. I will definitely share if it's a hit or flop. I saw the cookie cutters you purchased, looks like you will have a lot of fun playing with those! And the Eggshell Cupcakes looks like something I might try with my kids. They love to help me in the kitchen. First channel my son ever learned was Food Network. Now at 12, he's discovered Xbox. But he still likes to make things, especially when I am making Macaroni and Cheese ~ LOL!!

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    So you would end up with cookies sort of like the ones called window panes, right? I think that sounds like a cool idea! Show us what you end up with.

8. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Found the window pane idea, but those use crushed candies in the opening…would make cute decorations, but too hard to eat - don't want to break any more teeth..[​IMG]

Think I'll try using colored sugar on top of egg cookie with chick to shape it. Will post pics.

@NorthFLChick love the Peeps…cute.

9. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG] on the colored sugar idea! Breaking teeth is exactly what I thought about the hard candy. I've seen them done with crushed lollipops too but think breaking teeth would happen with those also.

Thanks for noticing the Peeps! I'm going to change out my avatar periodically to suit the season/holiday/mood [​IMG]

10. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    I need to go through this when I have some time.
    Thank you for posting the link!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by