Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I don't bother with small cookies.
    I mean when i eat two gigantic cookies- it still feels less evil than eating three dozen tiny cookies.

So, enough BYC and off to the elliptical.
    If I have no will power, I have to exercise. It's the only time I am not eating. [​IMG]

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    @3goodeggs

I have only made royal icing for ginger bread houses, it dries really hard - even if you make it thinner - that's why it's great for cementing the houses together. Haven't eaten any, but it does smell good and lasts a really long time…..not an issue for cookies..[​IMG]

Same reason I really don't want to use fondant (spelling?) shaped icing, not really great taste.

But seems that a softer icing may be more tasty, altho messy. And when blowing a diet…go all the way.[​IMG]

I did find a couple of recipes using corn syrup for a thicker icing not as hard as royal. May try one of those. But I hate the idea of GMO corn sweeteners.

3. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Found this recipe:

A cross between royal icing and buttercream frosting for cookies. Has enough form to detail but stays softer in center with good flavor. Only negative listed on the site was it does bleed a little more than RI so if thin for glaze, let it really dry before adding details.
    Meringue Powder Buttercream

• 1/3 cup water
    • 3 T. meringue powder
    • ½ cup shortening
    • 4 ½ cups powdered sugar (1 lb. 3 oz. If you have a scale)
    • 1 tsp. vanilla extract (use clear vanilla if you want a pure white icing)
    • ¼ tsp. almond extract
    Place half of the powdered sugar and the meringue powder in the bowl of an electric mixer. Whisk together well. Turn on mixer (use whip attachment) and, while motor is running, slowly stream in the water. Mix until everything is incorporated. Turn mixer to high speed and whip until stiff peaks form. Add flavorings and mix well. Change to paddle attachment (for stand mixer) or dough hook (for Bosch). If using a hand mixer, use the same beaters you were using before. Add remaining powdered sugar and shortening and whip for 2-3 minutes more.

Note: Don't skimp on the whipping time after adding the shortening. You really need to whip it well to prevent separation later.

And no corn syrup needed!!

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I've used this recipe for things and, yes, it does have a tendency to bleed a bit, but it is SO nice to work with and I love the flavor.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    SO not a fan of fondant -- yes, it's makes for some great decorating, and can be fun to work with, but BLECH!!!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  6. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Baked my cookies…..know I better not give up my day job… Most looked more like buzzards than baby chicks…[​IMG]And of course had to eat all those ugly ones.

Not quite what I had in mind. Tried several things that sounded good on paper…But they do taste quite good...

[​IMG]

Don't know if I'll bother to ice these - yup, that's all that's left. but DH did help with eating the rest.

Haven't cooked cookies in a while. Chilled dough was easy to roll, but warmed up too quickly. The larger egg with chick imprint was cut from softer, warmer dough, smaller one was when it was still cool.

Anyone give cookie lessons?

7. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    You all talking about icing and fondant reminded me of the glaze I used on the gingerbread cookies in December. It was pretty easy to make, it's soft when you put it on but it dries to a sort of hard shiny coating. It does use some corn syrup but just a tiny bit. The glaze tasted good on the cookies too! (Of course my gingerbread folks were not pretty but I'm no decorator, lol).

Here's a link to the glaze recipe I used:
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/simple-cookie-glaze-recipe

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Those are some seriously cute cookies! Nice how they used 1 cutter to make different animals.

9. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Where do you get meringue powder...do most grocery stores carry it?

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

I think their cute. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by