Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Update on chick and egg cookies trial.

Bought some Karo syrup at grocery today. But all they had was with vanilla. Is there one without?

@NorthFLChick my grocery did not have Meringue powder. Gonna get some new, fresh tomorrow at Joann's - got a coupon in mail today. Mine is too old for safe eating.

Gonna try 2 types of icings tomorrow on tha cookies . And thawing chicken to try the cookie cutter chicken salad idea...[​IMG]

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @sunflour , I had to go check the label on my bottle of corn syrup. It has vanilla listed as the last ingredient. I never noticed that before but I've only used it for the cookie glaze and there isn't any flavoring called for in that so they weren't too vanilla-y (if you know what I mean). I want to see your chicken salad sandwiches when you're done making them...bet they'll be cute.

Thanks for the heads-up on @OnlyOrps chicken décor thread. I'll go check it out. I really don't have much in the way of that but it might give me some good ideas for making some!

3. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    @NorthFLChick

RE: vanilla in Karo, according to their site:

"Vanilla has always been an ingredient in Karo light corn syrup. It gives extra smoothness and richness to the flavor."

Evidently it has always been there, but not labelled in tha good ole days.

4. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Aha, now we know the rest of the story. Kind of makes you wonder what all was left off other labels, especially in the past. Who knows what we were really eating? [​IMG]

Made a coffee cake this morning. It was ok but nothing to brag about (or take a picture of). At least it took care of breakfast. @sunflour , I thought about making your breakfast casserole but wanted something for today. Do you always have to let it sit overnight? I suppose it takes some time for the bread to soak up the egg mixture.

5. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    You don't have to let the casserole sit at all….made one last night for supper when the chicken wasn't thawed out enough. I think the overnight is so you can pop in oven early. Guess the recipe should read " can sit overnight in fridge to bake the next day".

There is no bad coffee cake...[​IMG]

6. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good to know about the casserole!

And you're probably right about the coffee cake. What I really wanted to make were the cinnamon rolls, but I'm out of powdered sugar. And how could we possibly eat them without the cream cheese frosting? That just wouldn't be right, lol.

7. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Got my chicken cooked and gonna make the chicken salad.

Believe it or not, I have never made it. All recipes I find add celery and mayo and sweet pickle relish. But some add boiled eggs and some don't.
    I did one time add boiled egg to tuna salad and it really is better without.

Any comments on adding the egg or not to chicken salad will be greatly appreciated.

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I never add boiled egg to either chicken or tuna salad. I do, however, like egg salad. With the chicken salad, I add a little finely diced onion, some celery (or celery seed), salt, pepper, sometime curry powder, and mayo.

I think chicken, tuna and egg salads are sort of like chili in that everyone likes to mix it up to their taste and the recipes just sort of give you general guidelines.

1 person likes this.
  9. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Thanks, that's what our favorite book….the Ga Cookbook says. Just needed some input. As usual, you are so helpful.

10. OnlyOrps

OnlyOrps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    I have shared some of my creations here. I'm just getting into baking. I'm more of a cook than a baker. I like to make things up not follow recipes lol I also like to combine 4 or 5 recipes and that desire doesn't always translate to baking [​IMG]
    An ugly square peach pie I made. Hubs ran out and got me two pretty pie pans after this lol it was good though!
    [​IMG]
    A broccoli, bacon, cheese quiche I made [​IMG]
    Some chocolate chip cookies
    [​IMG]
    Buttermilk cinnamon rolls
    [​IMG]
    Homemade pizza, even made the dough
    [​IMG]
    Monkey bread, from scratch
    [​IMG]
    My attempts at homemade bread
    [​IMG]