Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    That sounds really tasty. Got the ingredients to try the pb cookies, but no time to bake right now :(

2. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    This is a yummy peanut butter/chocolate recipe. Kind of messy to make but very good & rich. No baking required.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles

2 Cups peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
    2 Cups powdered sugar
    6 Tab unsalted butter, softened
    1 Tab vanilla extract
    2 1/2 - 3 Cups milk chocolate or dark chocolate chips

In mixing bowl, beat peanut butter & butter until smooth.
    Gradually add vanilla extract and powdered sugar (may need to add a bit more pow. sugar to make "dough").
    Rolls dough into small balls & put on waxed or parchment paper covered baking sheet. Refrigerate 60-90 minutes.
    Melt chocolate chips in microwave (use short bursts of nuking, stir often).
    Dip balls of dough in melted chocolate and return to baking sheet. Refrigerate another 30 minutes.
    Store in the refrigerator.

Makes about 25-30 truffles, depending on size of dough balls

If you want to dress these up, make a peanut butter drizzle. Melt 1/2 Cup peanut butter and using a fork, drizzle it over the finished truffles.

3. Alice28

Alice28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2014
    Those sound super yummy! Mmmm!

Today I made banana carrot muffins, my son and I will put frosting and sprinkles on them tonight and he can bring them to school for his birthday snack tomorrow. Friday we are leaving to go stay with my cousins and will be taking my son to the San Francisco zoo for his birthday! I'm pretty excited! We took friday and Monday off. Because of the trip, I won't be making his cake this year. Last year I made one with a volcano with lava and plastic dinosaurs on it. It probably sounds cooler then it was! Haha! This year I called Baskin Robbins, per my cousins suggestion, and he will get an ice cream cake with dinosaurs on it. They didn't have a picture of it online, so I'm a bit worried, but I think it will be fine. No Easter baking for me with this Easter/birthday trip, so I will just be reading all the posts on here drolling! Haha

4. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Last year's dino cake must have been a huge hit! I used to have so much fun baking cakes for my boys' birthdays. He-Man and Bugs Bunny were probably the ones best remembered (Wilton cake pans made them pretty easy).

Sigh, they're old now and not much into b-day cakes (let alone He-Man or Bugs).

5. Alice28

Mar 20, 2014
    Oh man, sounds like your cakes were awesome! I think because he actually had a part last year, it was a big deal. We made fossils and had a fossil dig, I made dinosaur egg party favors and when the kids dug into the eggs a dinosaur toy was in the middle, all the food was dino themed, we had a bounce house! As a rule I don't do partys, so it was a big deal. A few friends came, we did no gifts, but he had a blast. The cake was exciting too. For a year I've been hearing "at my next dinosaur birthday party". I think a birthday trip will be perfect. His second birthday we went to a big aquarium with his cousin, who has the same birthday. He's excited for an ice cream cake too. We don't have a baskin Robbins here, so an ice cream cake is super exciting!

6. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    The best party game I ever did was the "spider web"; my son said his friends talked about it for years! I did this on a patio that had lots of posts in the center, but out in the yard with trees would work, or in a room with lots of furniture.

Lots of string, cardboard squares with a single hole punched in a corner (twice the number of children that will attend), prizes which are numbered.

Tie string to a piece of cardboard. Secure the cardboard, write a number on it. Walk the string around, catching and twisting all the stuff as you go...keep it at shoulder height. End at a specific spot where the children can gather, tie on an unnumbered piece of cardboard and secure it so it does not unravel from the path.

Repeat with with enough strings for each child, and a different number on each string to match the prizes, but taking a unique path for each string. When you are done it should like like a big messy spider web.

The kids each pick a single piece of cardboard, then all at once follow their bit of string (winding it up as they go onto the cardboard: make yourself an example piece to show them). The first to finish should get an extra prize, any kid who helps someone else should get an extra prize.

7. Alice28

Mar 20, 2014
    I like the spider web idea!

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Does anyone have a special Easter Sunday menu? Trying to decide what to do.

9. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Nope, not here. We will eat, I'm sure of that, but no special menu.

What are you thinking of making?

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

Baby back ribs on the grill, mac and cheese, and slaw just 3 of us and for dessert Cherry Yum yum. I'll admit it I am a lazy cook.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by