Any Home Bakers Here?

@sunflour , that turkey recipe sounds amazing (and easy). Next time we have turkey, I'm going to try it. Thanks for sharing!

@NorthFLChick ,

turkey failures is why we bought the electric roaster. Out turkey was always dry. We started just getting the breasts and not trying for a browning, just moister meat. Honestly this is the best flavor and result we have ever had. Even the sandwich today was great. Froze most of the meat to bring out later, used Ziplock vacuum packing and the juice ran out into the pump :). Had dressing with turkey flooded with gravy and rewarmed like a casserole in oven tonight and it was awesome.

Do try it sometime, we let this one go a little higher measured meat temp than we had planned. and it was still very juicy.

I baked a 14# ham for Easter, DH heard that you plan for 1# ham per person. It barely fit in the oven...
I tried to remember how my mom baked a ham when I was little; she died almost 30 years ago, so I just winged it. I used whole cloves in the outside of the ham, put sliced pineapple on top and a cherry on a toothpick in the hole of each slice of pineapple to hold it on. I mixed pineapple juice, ground mustard, brown sugar, and cherry balsamic vinegar and used it for basting. Covered it with tinfoil, and let it bake for 4 hours.
Best ham I have had in as long as I can remember. Dad snagged some of the pineapple slices and cherries first thing. That made him smile ... My BIL tried the pineapple also, he loved it and he doesn't even like pineapple. He said it tasted like candy. It should have, there was a lot of brown sugar basted on that ham.

@wyoDreamer , does that mean your kitchen is done?

Glad you had a nice Easter!

That sounds great!
How to I book mark one post?
I am going to do that with the next ham.
I made enough food for a weeks worth of left overs, but they ate it for breakfast and lunch and here we are at Tuesday, and I have to make dinner tonight.
hmm.png

My son said that holidays deserve ham, but so do random days of the week.
(He deserves ham, is what I drew from that.)

I am a Ham-addict. I could eat ham every day - well, almost every day - I need bacon once in a while also ...
lol.png

As for the kitchen - tile backsplash is up and grouted. Grout is not sealed yet, and we have 3 more countertops to re-laminate and more backsplash to put up ... so not done, but I have a dishwasher and sink with running water.
I have checked all the stores in the area and bought all the tiles that they have of that style. stupid company changed the tile, it has the same SKU, name and description but looks different.
I'll have to get a picture tomorrow morning when the light is better in there, for you all.

I am a Ham-addict. I could eat ham every day - well, almost every day - I need bacon once in a while also ...
lol.png

As for the kitchen - tile backsplash is up and grouted. Grout is not sealed yet, and we have 3 more countertops to re-laminate and more backsplash to put up ... so not done, but I have a dishwasher and sink with running water.
I have checked all the stores in the area and bought all the tiles that they have of that style. stupid company changed the tile, it has the same SKU, name and description but looks different.
I'll have to get a picture tomorrow morning when the light is better in there, for you all.

Look forward to seeing your kitchen. I'd love to re-do ours but until then, I'll just live vicariously and enjoy yours, lol.

We aren't done with what we are doing yet, DH needs to cut the wood strips for the edging on the counter and I will stain and seal it. And what we are doing right now is only 1/4 of the kitchen.

And this is the other side of the room. We have the countertop to recover this with and the tile for the backsplash. Now to find the time to do it.

Your kitchen is looking good! Finding the time (or the money) to do a big project is a hurdle but so worth it when it's done. Did you find all the tile you need?

Love all the cabinet space your kitchen has. Ours is really limited so a lot of my baking pans and such are hiding out in the dining room.

Hey all!

I have a question on salt...

I use that pink Himalayan salt and when I baked my Easter Babka it came out without enough salt flavor even though I used the amount called for in the recipe.
Has this happened with anyone else?
I had to add a little salt while eating the bread for it to taste normal, so then it was good.
I have been trying to learn what the various ingredients and baking styles do to the bread regarding crust and texture, and it is complicated! People will contradict one another, or changing one factor changes outcome in an unexpected manner...sigh...:rolleyes:
I have also found that sugar sweetness varies with differs sugar types.

I did a batch of brioche from a Martha Stewart recipe and was not impressed with the bread for the amount of work it required. I'd rather just slather some of that extra butter on a regular bread! :lol:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom