Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    k.com/Home-Garden/Wolfgang-Puck-Programmable-Heavy-duty-Bread-Maker-Refurbished/3994790/product.html

This is the one I have.

It is okay. it makes a loaf sized loaf instead of a square that made huge sandwiches.
    I got given a used one when a friend moved and I used it until it died.
    I did not like the square loaf, so I would let the machine do the work and the rising, then I would put it in a loaf pan for the final rise and bake them in the oven.

I could not get replacement parts because it was old, so My in laws gave this one for Christmas one year.
    It took me a while to get used to it, and sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not.
    It seems to know that I mean business and if it does not earn it's counter space, out it goes. So it is behaving now. From the reviews I have read, they do seem to be finicky at first. I would not invest the $$$ my in laws spent on this one. A used one refurbished maybe for 45 dollars, but not hundreds.

I suggest you try goodwill or hospice shops for used ones first.
    Most people I know love them until they gain 20 pounds, then they give them away.
    Just make sure you know what they are worth new or refurbish first.

I have a hoard of them waiting for this one to die, there is a line. I do like to mix up quart jars with the salt sugar flour already measured so that I can dump it, measure the warm water, oil and yeast and forget about it.
    I spend one day measuring things out that I purchase in bulk and then the rest of the season just dumping and going.

http://www.breadmachinepros.com/

2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    @NorthFLChick Out of the choices listed, I would choose the honey. My Honey wheat bread uses only honey for the sweetener and it turns out great. My guess is the molasses in the brown sugar will make the dough heavy, dark and give your Kaiser rolls a funny taste and the splenda will not feed the yeast to get the rise you want.
    Sugar is a wet ingredient, so use the same measure of honey.

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Great, honey it is.

Thanks @wyoDreamer , I'll report how it turns out.

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    That is nice to know. So if you need two tablespoons sugar, you can use two tablespoons honey? and you do not need to take any volume out of the water you add because of the fluid-ness of the honey?

5. ceancharles

ceancharles Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2015
    Blanco Texas
    I'd use honey. I've been on the no-processed anything kick and have been using local raw honey for sweetener. Works like a champ.

6. wyoDreamer

Nov 10, 2010
    I have never had any issues substituting honey without adjusting the liquid content. Of course, for bread I use the By-Feel method of measuring the flour anyway. Sticky - add flour, too firm - mist with water.

7. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    For the rolls I would use honey. I would use less though because honey is a denser sugar--It is sweater actually.

Molasses is great in bread--It makes it rise better. It tastes good too.

I have not used brown sugar.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  8. wyoDreamer

Nov 10, 2010
    I don't like molasses. Can't stand any thing made with molasses. I get it from my mom and dad. They don't like it so we never had anything made with it, so i never developed a taste for it.

Kaiser rolls have a unique taste that comes from the malted xxxx (I can't think of the ingredient right now). I don't have any, and could never find it in the grocery store, so mine are never quite right. However, most of the small bakeries are gone and the stores don't make them crusty anymore; so mine are as good as they get around here. :)

9. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    My Mom hates blue berries so we, her children did not eat them until we were adults. We all love them!

You can get diastolic and non diastolic malt powder from King Arthur Flour.

diastolic will make the dough rise better for whole wheat breads.
    non-diastolic is used for rolls and bagels.

10. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Ok, rolls are finished and I HAD to eat one to find out if the honey affected the taste, texture, etc. I used 4 Tablespoons of honey for the 4 Tablespoons of sugar, and didn't change anything else in the recipe.

No difference at all that I can tell and I've made this recipe probably 15 times or more.

The big test will be when DH tries them (I'm not going to mention the substitution). He's always a stinker about "too sweet" anything (unless it's chocolate). Oh, and don't ever get him talking about sweet on meat...that is absolutely never allowed. It can make buying bacon or ham a real test of label reading

Of course, after asking here, I went to the Peter Reinhart bread book I have, almost all of his recipes allow for either sugar, honey or agave nectar. His measurements for honey and agave are less then sugar. Like his challah bread recipe (which is wonderful btw), it calls for 6 Tab of sugar or 4 1/2 Tab of honey or agave. I couldn't find an explanation for the difference in the book. I've had agave nectar in the past and that stuff is way too sweet for me. Not sure I'd want to swap even amounts of sugar or honey for agave.

But for this recipe, the even substitution of honey for sugar was fine. Thank you very much @wyoDreamer !

P.S. @ronott1 , love the new avatar! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by