Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    According to KA website:

Brown sugar
    Brown sugar is granulated sugar with some molasses mixed in to darken and deepen its flavor and texture. Light brown sugar has less added molasses (and less assertive flavor) than dark brown sugar; they can be used interchangeably, depending on personal preference. Dark brown sugar can be substituted for white granulated sugar measure for measure, and will alter the flavor of course, just as you would expect, and will create a moister end product. If you’re out of brown sugar and want to substitute white sugar, add a bit of molasses to approximate the flavor, 1 tablespoon of molasses for light brown sugar and 2 tablespoons for dark.

IMO use the brown sugar, equal measure to the granulated…Throw away the Splenda :)

2. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Please do post the sugar cookie recipe, I'm trying to find the perfect recipe:) Also love lemon bars, would you share that recipe?

Glad you joined NorthFlChicks thread. Sounds like you have loads of experience.

3. OnlyOrps

OnlyOrps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    I agree! Splenda and other fake sweeteners make me soooo sick! I always try to use honey, molasses, real maple syrup or brown sugar in place of sugar.

1 person likes this.
  4. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I have a Hitachi - made in Japan, but it's 30 years old, still working. A lot of the newer ones will do a lot more than the elders. I use mine to mix, knead and first rise for rolls,buns, sweet rolls. But it does do well baking breads. I have read comparisons of the upright ones like mine and the newer horizontal loaf types - and it really does seem the older ones do a better mixing. I would suggest you research and pay attention to reviews. Would love to hear what you find.

Dumb, I know, I gave away an older dehydrator, and bought a newer one a few years ago when I wanted to try it again. Would be interested in what dehydrator you use and how you store what you dehydrate.

5. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Also, I only buy pure cane syrup sugar now..I hate the idea that many granulated sugars now are GMO sugar beets - those will label only "sugar".

1 person likes this.
  6. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I have a bag of organic raw sugar--I will make bread using it next time I bake a batch.

7. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    @ronott1 I absolutely love your avatar..

I would think Pure Cane Sugar is organic or at least it's not GMO. Where did you find that sugar?

8. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Costco has a nice organic section now. It is C&H too. It smells very nice.

Of course it comes in a costco size bag....

9. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi @sunflour , thanks for the KA info. I've actually made the brown sugar mixing white sugar & molasses for cookies. It works fine, I didn't notice a big change in the cookie flavor but it's kind of a mess to mix up. Always good to know some substitutions though.

As for the Splenda, that was a leftover from our tea & spice shop (along with Equal and another one can't remember the name of). We prepared hot & cold teas and coffees for customers and had to have a variety of sweeteners for them to choose from. DH and I always use honey (which we also sold) in our hot drinks. I haven't opened up that storage box since our store closed, I was hoping we still had some granulated sugar packets in there but no such luck.

10. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    We get the raw sugar and the cane sugar at our local grocery store, Publix. @ronott1 , you probably get a better price with the bigger bag at Costco, the organic raw sugar was pretty steep the last time I checked the grocery store price. The cane sugar is often on sale and then I can usually get a 5 pound for $2.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by