Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. DigMyChicks

DigMyChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2015
    Appleton, MN
    Thank you! These are fun to do but time consuming [​IMG]

2. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    We have a big garden, I know weeds! Ugh, that's a job that never gets done (and it is like my laundry...that seems to never be done either).

Using a bread machine isn't lazy. You're still producing bread that's better tasting (and most likely better for you) than what you'd buy at a store. No judging from me! [​IMG]

3. BBrady

BBrady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2015
    South Central Missouri
    Beer bread is so good, but definitely not an every day bread because we would get nothing done except eatin the bread all day. When i try regular wheat bread, I have trouble still feeding the yeast with sugar and water at the right temperature, and i don't have bread maker yet, so this is the best bread i can do with the yeast already doing its thing. i bake this beer bread in the same loaf pan that i use for a 2 pound meat loaf, i dont know how standard that size is.

1 & 1/2 Tbsp sugar
    1 &1/2 cups flour (i use all purpose)
    3/4 tsp salt (i use kosher, only because i keep a little dish on my counter for sprinkling so its easy to scoop)
    2 & 1/4 tsp baking powder
    6 ounces beer (i use half of a 12 ounce bottle of original Budweiser, and drink the rest!!)
    butter to taste, for last 15 minutes

1. Mix sugar and dry ingredients.
    2. Stir in beer.
    3. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
    4. Pat butter over top and bake 15 minutes more.
    5. Let it cool to at least warm. You'll totally want to burn yourself getting at it before it cools. Hide any left overs [​IMG]

I have similar mixing/rising needs. I will look into that brand. I like America's Test Kitchen for reviews. I will consider getting an older mixer.

We have a Presto Dehydro food dehydrator from Walmart. It has just an on/off setting which is "plugged in or not". It is circular, and has about 6 trays, i think. We have had it for about two weeks and I have dehydrated apples, oranges, strawberries, bananas, mangoes, pineapples, and tomatoes. I also make fruit leather in my oven with the tips of the strawberries and kiwi and yogurt, as i do not have the paper lining for the dehydrator trays and i wanted the leather to be in long strips like fruit roll ups. So far, I am just storing in ziplock bags. I do have a lot of glass jars though, from pasta sauce and salad dressings, which i will probably graduate too. I am not at a point where i feel like long term storage past a month or two will be necessary, but if i start making christmas presents like snacks of dried ripe summer fruit or dehydrated vegetables for home made soup mixes, i will be looking into obtaining or making the oxygen packets. i love this website http://www.easy-food-dehydrating.com/frequently-asked-questions.html for dehydrating info.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Hummm. Just you wait, we will have you making jelly and canning tomatoes by next year. This site does that to you.
    I was just minding my own business toodeling along and then I got chickens.. joined BYC and suddenly I am a bee keeping, canning, baking, exhausted person with chickens.

2 people like this.
  5. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Thanks @BBrady , for sharing the beer bread recipe. I use a thermometer to check the water temp when I bake, takes the guess work out and I don't kill the yeast with water that is too hot. I think the one I use was only about $3. You might want to try that too.

6. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I know! Where does this stop, right? [​IMG]

So, do you have goats and rabbits yet? That's another thing this place will "help" you get into, lol.

7. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I can not do rabbits. I'd be up to my arm pits in rabbits.
    However, the milk goat has been mentioned everyday to a certain husband who will eventually cave.

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Goats...you can't have just one you know. Speaking of goats, I better go check on ours. Those little babies have turned into regular Houdini's.

9. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    You are right. goat'S'.
    Multi-goat syndrome.

10. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Thanks for the recipe!

Use a thermometer for the water temp. I also use a heating pad set on low for the rising periods when it is cold in the house..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by