Any Home Bakers Here?

Thanks for the recipe!

Use a thermometer for the water temp. I also use a heating pad set on low for the rising periods when it is cold in the house..

@ronott1 , it was so warm here yesterday, I set the dough for my rolls on our enclosed front porch. That did the trick!

@ronott1 , it was so warm here yesterday, I set the dough for my rolls on our enclosed front porch. That did the trick!
I only have to use the heat pad in the winter. When I baked bread last time, I let it raise on the kitchen table--we were in the 80s that weekend.

@BBrady I have the same dehydrator now. The only thing I tried this past year was cayenne peppers, but want to try other things this year.

I had read that dehydrated foods don't last long even if in freezer, but vacuum packed they can really last years. Found some sites using those inexpensive Ziplock hand pumps to vacuum mason canning jars. Link to one below and there's others in blogs and YouTube:

http://www.salad-in-a-jar.com/famil...k-salad-in-a-jar-for-less-than-6-plus-a-video

I use the ziplock vacuum bags for most things I freeze. The punched hole tape method worked, but got 2 sized of the jar top things and they sealed very well and I think could last longer. The tape in the first way could come loose.

I don't recall the links, but some folks dehydrate soup fixings so all you would need is water to eat, kinda interesting.

I don't know what happened..I turned my back and....Weeds. Lots of them.
There is no getting ahead. It isn't like laundry.

When I have the place looking less derelict, you get the invite!
big_smile.png
But you'd have to hurry because weeds know no rest.
I rest. I throw my hands in the air, scream, go home, and rest. Then the weeds take advantage.
That is why I use a bread machine. (It sounds less lazy now doesn't it? I know you all were judging!
wink.png
)
@3goodeggs …my weeds grow while I look at them..lol.

It seems that every year the weeds become stronger. We got one of those dragon weed burners, it really looked promising, but seemed to give great nutrition to the subsequent weeds..
he.gif

The only solution I can find is to go to permanent no till veggie garden beds. It seems that tilling multiplies the weeds.

hmm.png
It just hit me…we could invent something like those robot vacuums to weed the garden? Or maybe just chunnel the hens to do the work :)

I love my bread machine, just put everything in to shake and bake, but mostly use the dough cycle - then one can drink coffee and explore BYC while the machine does the hard work!

Cookies I made yesterday.
I like to use the double wall cookie sheet to prevent burning the bottom: I hate burned cookies!
I used a classic recipe and modified it to the ingredients I had on hand:

COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks) softened
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons hot water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup shredded coconut

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
Grease two large cookie sheets
Dissolve the baking soda in the water
Cream the butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl
Add the baking soda, salt, vanilla, and eggs, mixing well
Blend in the flour, chips, and coconut until an even consistency is obtained
Drop heaping tablespoons onto the greased cookie sheets (12 medium per sheet)
Use the back of the spoon (moistened slightly or buttered to prevent sticking) to flatten them slightly

Bake for 12-15 minutes
Allow to cool on the sheet to retain the shape

They have wonderful flavor that is not too sweet.
They did not harden into little rocks: I stored them overnight uncovered on a plate in the microwave

Cookies I made yesterday.
I like to use the double wall cookie sheet to prevent burning the bottom: I hate burned cookies!
I used a classic recipe and modified it to the ingredients I had on hand:

COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks) softened
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons hot water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup shredded coconut

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
Grease two large cookie sheets
Dissolve the baking soda in the water
Cream the butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl
Add the baking soda, salt, vanilla, and eggs, mixing well
Blend in the flour, chips, and coconut until an even consistency is obtained
Drop heaping tablespoons onto the greased cookie sheets (12 medium per sheet)
Use the back of the spoon (moistened slightly or buttered to prevent sticking) to flatten them slightly

Bake for 12-15 minutes
Allow to cool on the sheet to retain the shape

They have wonderful flavor that is not too sweet.
They did not harden into little rocks: I stored them overnight uncovered on a plate in the microwave
They should be very tasty!

Thanks for the recipe.

Good morning, anyone have any baking plans?

I've been baking but haven't tried anything new lately and I'm getting that urge to make something different. Anyone tried a new bread or dinner roll recipe recently that was wonderful?

Good morning, I found a recipe for an Oatmeal cake and want to use Gluten free all purpose baking mix instead of the 1.5 cups of flour, there is a recipe on the box for cup cakes which makes me think I could use this for the cake but wondering if anyone has used Gluten free mix before for a cake. This is for a Church dinner so I want it to turn out nice.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom