Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    When you get a minute, share the recipe with us. Maybe we can see where it's not quite right.

But, hey, if it smells good, I bet it will taste good too! [​IMG]

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    OK, here's the Peanut Butter Cut-Out Cookies:

They did roll fine but had to keep placing dough back in fridge - I think they would have done much better ( like my last cut outs) to leave the dough overnight in the fridge.

Here's recipe, from Taste of Home recipe site:

Ingredients

1 stick of butter = 1/2 cup softened
    • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
    • 3/4 cup sugar
    • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    • 2 eggs
    • 1/3 cup 2% milk - (I used whole milk)
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    • Vanilla frosting
    • Red, green, yellow and blue gel food coloring
    • Assorted colored sprinkles
    Directions

• 1. In a large bowl, cream peanut butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Beat in the eggs, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle. I wrapped in saran wrap, maybe should have just covered the mixing bowl?
    • 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with 2-in. to 4-in. cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart in ungreased baking sheets.
    • 3. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until edges are browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost cookies and decorate as desired. Yield: About 4-1/2 dozen. I baked at 350.
    Nutritional Facts

1 serving (2 each) equals 151 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 84 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.

[​IMG] 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC

One reviewer recommended baking at 350 F - that's what I did. First batch cut outs were too brown at 15 min. I tried hand rolled and flattened, at 15 min and too done - although both are edible :) So I baked the rest 12 minutes and the are quite good.[​IMG]Not gonna frost - had planned chocolate icing, but they are already sweet enough.

Here's photos of the 12 minute guys, both are same chicken cutter 2x4 inch but they do rise a lot…the one on the bottom sat awhile before baking but gave an interesting shape [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This dough tho really soft baked up nicely!

3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Try this recipe next time--This recipe is over 100 years old and a classic from my family. I was born in 1960 and aunt Abby was deceased then.

Aunt Abby's Peanut butter Cookies

1C. Butter 2t. Baking soda
    1C. Brown Sugar ½t. Salt
    1C. Granulated Sugar 3C flour
    1C. Peanut Butter
    2 Eggs

Cream together Butter, brown sugar, Granulated sugar & eggs. Sift together the dry ingredients. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, stir. Form dough into balls and smash with fork(get a bowl of sugar and push the fork into into the sugar between smashes. Make cross patterns). Bake 20-25 minutes at 350°.

4. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    Your cookies look wonderful! They kept their shape nicely, since I knew it was a chicken :lol:

How was the flavor?

I love the ones I used to get many MANY years ago in H.S....they were soft and chewy... Yum!

I don't care for any others I've had since...either too hard, or they have peanuts in them, which to me ruins the cookie... Peanuts are too hard, I think. I like walnuts or pecans in cookies, but peanuts, no... Cashews are not as hard, so I wonder if they would work?

5. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Bake the recipe I posted above and use creamy peanut butter. I have tried a lot of recipes over they years and these are the best.

6. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Okay, so I admit, this is off the wall, but those of you who know of me... you'll understand.
    My puppy turns one on Saturday.
    I was going to make us people some cupcakes, but I want something a bit yummier for the dogs. You know, more bacon less sugar?
    I don't want to make dog bones, I have dog bones. I want them to know it is a cupcake. It's a dog party!
    [​IMG]

7. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    @ronott1 Thanks so much for sharing your family recipe - those IMO are the really best ones. I really love the idea of pushing the fork in sugar to flatten them.

@Kikiriki Mine taste good, but are a little dry. I think ronotti1's recipe will be much better.

When these have been eaten, I'll try Aunt Abby's.

8. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    How about Cheesy Bacon Muffins: http://doggydessertchef.com/2011/06/10/cheesy-bacon-muffins-2/

1 person likes this.
  9. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Those are perfect!!!! [​IMG]

10. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    @3goodeggs I don't have a dog, but those sound so good, I could eat one..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by