Any Home Bakers Here?

I have never used gluten-free mix so I can't help with that one.
Personally, I would never make a change like that for the first time for an event. you can never be quite sure what you will get.

You asked for it, you got it.

this mornings gift from the oven - Apple Oatmeal Amish Friendship Bread
moist and delicious
one loaf is headed for the freezer.

I have never used gluten-free mix so I can't help with that one.
Personally, I would never make a change like that for the first time for an event. you can never be quite sure what you will get.

You asked for it, you got it.

this mornings gift from the oven - Apple Oatmeal Amish Friendship Bread
moist and delicious
one loaf is headed for the freezer.
Looks very tasty!

It is very good, maybe a touch too sweet, but nice and light. Next time I will reduce the sugar, already changed it in my recipe. The spices come from Apple Butter, I used a jar of homemade that a friend had given me about 3 years ago. I had a couple of apples that were starting to get soft, so I peeled and dice them to add to the topping, next time I will stir them into the batter.

Now I have a use for Apple Butter, I am not really a fan of apple butter because it has too much spices for me. I have a couple jars of pear butter in the cupboard, so that will be my next try at this recipe.

@wyoDreamer Apple oatmeal, sounds delicious.
droolin.gif
And those loaves are gorgeous. Would love to have the recipe.

@NorthFLChick Saw your post this am, had not planned to bake anything, but so dull, cold rainy today and feeling frumpy….but you got me thinking about doing something. Got my butter sitting out to try Peanut Butter Cut Out Cookies. Thanks for the motivation :)

Here you go. I got it from that Amish Friendship website that was posted here a while ago.

Apple Spice Friendship Coffee Cake

Add 2 diced apples to the center layer of crumb topping
Prep time:
Cook time:
Yield: 2 loaf pans

Serving size: 1
Calories per serving: 2,899.524

Ingredients:
1 c amish Friendship Bread starter
2 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
8 tbsp unsalted butter
2 eggs
3/4 c sugar
3/4 c apple butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c wheat germ, or oatmeal
1/2 c sour cream
Crumb Topping
3/4 c packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/3 c chopped pecan

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325° F.
In a small bowl, combine the crumb ingredients; set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and white sugar together.
Add eggs and beat well.
Add apple butter, vanilla, and wheat germ; beat well.
Add sour cream and Amish starter.
Add flour mixture and beat until combined.
Pour 1/2 the batter into a greased 9 x 13 pan. (I prefer 2 loaf pans for the 2 of us)
Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture, then spread remaining batter on top.
Bake for one hour (45 minutes for loaf pans) or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.

Here you go. I got it from that Amish Friendship website that was posted here a while ago.

Apple Spice Friendship Coffee Cake

Add 2 diced apples to the center layer of crumb topping
Prep time:
Cook time:
Yield: 2 loaf pans

Serving size: 1
Calories per serving: 2,899.524

Ingredients:
1 c amish Friendship Bread starter
2 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
8 tbsp unsalted butter
2 eggs
3/4 c sugar
3/4 c apple butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c wheat germ, or oatmeal
1/2 c sour cream
Crumb Topping
3/4 c packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/3 c chopped pecan

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325° F.
In a small bowl, combine the crumb ingredients; set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and white sugar together.
Add eggs and beat well.
Add apple butter, vanilla, and wheat germ; beat well.
Add sour cream and Amish starter.
Add flour mixture and beat until combined.
Pour 1/2 the batter into a greased 9 x 13 pan. (I prefer 2 loaf pans for the 2 of us)
Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture, then spread remaining batter on top.
Bake for one hour (45 minutes for loaf pans) or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
Thanks!

@wyoDreamer Thanks for recipe. I have never heard of Amish Friendship Starter, so investigated the site. Did you make your own starter by their recipe?

Good morning, I found a recipe for an Oatmeal cake and want to use Gluten free all purpose baking mix instead of the 1.5 cups of flour, there is a recipe on the box for cup cakes which makes me think I could use this for the cake but wondering if anyone has used Gluten free mix before for a cake. This is for a Church dinner so I want it to turn out nice.

Thanks

No, I've never used a gf baking mix before. I'm no help. But Oatmeal Cake sounds interesting!

Tomorrow I'm trying your Lemon Yum Yum recipe. I have the ingredients but the cream cheese is frozen so tomorrow it is. Can't wait to taste it.

@wyoDreamer Apple oatmeal, sounds delicious.
droolin.gif
And those loaves are gorgeous. Would love to have the recipe.

That does look tasty!

@NorthFLChick Saw your post this am, had not planned to bake anything, but so dull, cold rainy today and feeling frumpy….but you got me thinking about doing something. Got my butter sitting out to try Peanut Butter Cut Out Cookies. Thanks for the motivation :)

We're having the same dull, blah weather, that's what got me itching to bake something new. I want to see the PB Cut Out Cookies! I got a bunch of cutters that haven't been used yet, you might inspire me to dig them out.

@NorthFLChick The PB cookie recipe states to place in fridge for at least 2 hours or until easy to handle.

I divided it in half and wrapped each in saran wrap. They have been chilling for 3 hours and still as soft as when I mixed the dough..
he.gif

I reread the recipe and I did get it all in correctly, there may be an error - it was a net recipe.

I am ready to BAKE
hit.gif

Think I will go ahead and heat my oven, and if I cannot roll them out ( and I am quite sure I won't be able to), will just do hand rolled and flatten with a fork.

But the dough smells so good, if I were as brave as y'all I would taste it :)

And OMG, it's still raining here.

Back
Top Bottom