Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @sunflour , your cookies look good. I think you made the right choice to leave them unfrosted, somehow frosting on PB cookies just doesn't sound right.

@Kikiriki , I always make cookies with the crunchy peanut butter (in fact, that's the only PB I ever buy). But then, I'm a nut for any nut!

@ronott1 , flattening the cookies with a fork is how my mom always made time. Ahhh, peanut butter cookies and a glass of milk after school...those were the days!

@3goodeggs , happy birthday to your puppy. Hope she likes the special muffins [​IMG]

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Yes!

Peanut butter cookies and a glass of milk is perfect.

The cookies are good with old fashioned peanut butter too.

3. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    We used to be able to buy a peanut butter from a local grocery store where they made it up from ground fresh roasted peanuts, they sold it in the deli by weight. The only ingredient in it was ground peanuts and maybe a dash of salt. No added oils or anything artificial. Wow, that was the best. Can't get it around here though [​IMG]

4. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    There is a self serve peanut butter grinder in the health food section of a store here. It is very cool!

5. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Sounds like something I would enjoy (and probably have far too often)!

6. DigMyChicks

DigMyChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2015
    Appleton, MN
    Hi! Here's a lemon bar recipe if any one is interested [​IMG]

LEMON BARS

2 CUPS FLOUR
    1/2 CUP POWDERED SUGAR
    1 CUP BUTTER - NO SUBSTITUTES
    4 EGGS
    2 CUPS SUGAR
    4 TABLESPOONS FLOUR
    6 TABLESPOONS LEMON JUICE
    1/2 TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
    PREHEAT OVEN TO 350*. MIX TOGETHER FLOUR, SUGAR AND BUTTER USING A PASTRY BLENDER. PRESS INTO A 9X13 PAN. BAKE ABOUT 22 MINUTES UNTIL LIGHTLY BROWNED AROUND EDGES. WHILE THAT IS BAKING MIX TOGETHER SUGAR, FLOUR AND BAKING POWDER, THEN ADD LEMON JUICE AND EGGS. I USE A WISK SO IT MIXES WELL. I ALSO ADD A COUPLE DROPS OF YELLOW FOOD COLOR SO IT' S A LITTLE BRIGHTER...WITH FARM FRESH EGGS YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE TO DO THAT [​IMG]POUR OVER BAKED CRUST AS SOON AS IT COMES OUT OF THE OVEN. BAKE ANOTHER 22 MINUTES UNTIL CENTER IS SET. SPRINKLE WITH 1 TABLESPOON POWDERED SUGAR WHEN COOL. THESE SHOULD MELT IN YOUR MOUTH...ENJOY

1 person likes this.
  7. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    I have started it by scratch in the past, but this batch I got from @kbarrett a little bit ago. I am doubling mine, so if you want some, PM me your address and I will send you a starter. This is a really good batch, it has a nice smell and taste to it. The older it is, the better is gets. She was so nice to send it to me that I would be happy to extend the favor and share the goodness. I am putting one baggie of it in the freezer as a back-up for just in case.

8. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    DH is talking about getting a nut butter set-up for our grinder. I would like to try making almond butter or hazelnut butter. Not a huge peanut butter fan here, there was a point in college where I was barely scraping by and for a 2 month period all I had in the house to eat was Peanut Butter, grated Parmesan cheese, those little cans of tomato sauce and free brat-buns - So it was Peanut butter sandwich or cheese pizza (not a valid description really) for 3 meals a day.
    I think it is the same setup for my grinder for making corn meal. It all gets to be "fun-in-baking" with the proper gadgets.

A friend in Wyoming gave me some of his families "heirloom" blue corn seed that he had in his fridge for the last 20 years. They have been growing it for over 100 years on their ranch at 6900 feet in elevation. We'll see if it will grow in WI or not. With the right set-up, I will be able to make homemade blue tortillas this fall. [​IMG]

9. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    You need to get that attachment!

Keep us posted on the blue corn.

10. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi @DigMyChicks , thanks for sharing the lemon bar recipe.

@wyoDreamer , that's interesting about the blue corn, hope it grows well for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by