Any Home Bakers Here?

Has anyone ever wandered into the asian market and just never found something that strikes your fancy? Ever since I found out 400g Thai Split Mung beans($1.50 in my store) were wasting around in my cupboard one day I finally started searching out recipes. I should have never waited 6 months because those things make an incredible vegan/vegetarian/carnivore hearty soup base and I encourage you to try this and make it your own.

I did post a recipe here for what I found works for me as a vegan(wife) soup I can cook for her. Personally I add a dallop of Sour Cream to garnish for myself. Hope you enjoy it if I were cooking for myself I would be making this a chicken soup with chicken stock base.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-bean-soup-or-soup-base-vegan-or-not.73618/

Has anyone ever wandered into the asian market and just never found something that strikes your fancy? Ever since I found out 400g Thai Split Mung beans($1.50 in my store) were wasting around in my cupboard one day I finally started searching out recipes. I should have never waited 6 months because those things make an incredible vegan/vegetarian/carnivore hearty soup base and I encourage you to try this and make it your own.

I did post a recipe here for what I found works for me as a vegan(wife) soup I can cook for her. Personally I add a dallop of Sour Cream to garnish for myself. Hope you enjoy it if I were cooking for myself I would be making this a chicken soup with chicken stock base.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-bean-soup-or-soup-base-vegan-or-not.73618/
Thanks for the recipe!

DH and I were raised Catholic and he is adamant about no meat on Fridays during Lent. I just don't think fish pizza sounds very good, lol.
I wish I had some homemade bread, I have a hankering for tuna melts and mac & cheese. Not very good for the diet, though.
This is what my Catholic mother would feed us on some Fridays and during Lent. Most Fridays it was fried fish with cooked tomatoes for a sauce and some form of potatoes.

Cheese Spaghetti

1 1/2 pounds spaghetti (thick spaghetti works best)
1 quart canned tomatoes or 2 medium cans of tomatoes
4 oz. colby cheddar cheese
4 oz. colby jack cheese
4 oz. medium or sharp cheddar cheese
6 Swiss cheese slices (no holes)
6 American cheese slices
Butter or margarine
Several crackers

Cook 1 1/2 pounds of spaghetti.
Use a 9" x 13" baking dish.
Grease baking dish with butter.

Put a layer of cooked spaghetti (using half the spaghetti) in the buttered baking dish.
full

Place medium can or half quart of tomatoes over spaghetti.
full

Place chunks of colby cheddar, colby jack and cheddar cheese over tomatoes.
full

Add a second layer of spaghetti, repeat placing of tomatoes and cheese.
full
full
full

Top with slices of Swiss and American cheese. Cut one slice into 3 pieces and lay over top as many slices as you want.
full

Crush two or three crackers and spread over the top. Add small amount of a butter stick sliced thinly placed on top.
full

Cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 350° F. for 1 hour. Remove foil for last 15 to 20 minutes. Allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.
full

Can use cheeses of choice.
full

I eat mine with a salad with an oil & vinegar dressing.

Last edited:
Cheese Spaghetti

4 oz. colby jack cheese
6 American cheese slices
Butter or margarine
Several crackers

Put a layer of cooked spaghetti (using half the spaghetti) in the buttered baking dish.
full

full

full

full
full
full

Top with slices of Swiss and American cheese. Cut one slice into 3 pieces and lay over top as many slices as you want.
full

Crush two or three crackers and spread over the top. Add small amount of a butter stick sliced thinly placed on top.
full

Cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 350° F. for 1 hour. Remove foil for last 15 to 20 minutes. Allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.
full

full

Thanks for the recipe!

It looks very tasty

DH and I were raised Catholic and he is adamant about no meat on Fridays during Lent. I just don't think fish pizza sounds very good, lol.
I wish I had some homemade bread, I have a hankering for tuna melts and mac & cheese. Not very good for the diet, though.

Fish tacos would be good!

Thanks for sharing that!

This is what my Catholic mother would feed us on some Fridays and during Lent. Most Fridays it was fried fish with cooked tomatoes for a sauce and some form of potatoes.

Cheese Spaghetti

4 oz. colby jack cheese
6 American cheese slices
Butter or margarine
Several crackers

full

full

full

full
full
full

full

full

full

full

That looks good Bob, thanks for sharing the recipe and all the photos!

P.S. @Farmer Connie has a cooking contest starting March 1...you could maybe use this as an entry: pot-luck-photo-contest-w-farmer-connie.1223251

DH always went for Friday Fish Fry while growing up - he grew up in Waukesha.
We hardly ever went out to eat when I was growing up. We would fish all summer and freeze the surplus. Our Friday lent meals were either pan fried bluegills w/ homemade French fries OR homemade baked Mac & cheese with scrambled eggs on the side.
I have never been able to duplicate my moms mac and cheese - and I helped her make it many, many times. She died when I was 10, so in my defense it has been a long time.

She would cook the noodles and slice cheddar cheese. Butter a deep casserole dish. Place a layer of cooked elbow macaroni. Top with a layer of cheese slices. Place a layer of macaroni, top with cheese slices. A layer of macaroni, top with cheese slices. Pour milk on top and bake.
Hers would turn out creamy and delicious, mine turns out separated and gloppy with layers of goopy melted cheese and plain macaroni in hot milk.

Any one use a recipe that has a process similar to hers? I am wondering if she was adding all the ingredients for a béchamel sauce into the milk instead of using just plain milk?

DH always went for Friday Fish Fry while growing up - he grew up in Waukesha.
We hardly ever went out to eat when I was growing up. We would fish all summer and freeze the surplus. Our Friday lent meals were either pan fried bluegills w/ homemade French fries OR homemade baked Mac & cheese with scrambled eggs on the side.
I have never been able to duplicate my moms mac and cheese - and I helped her make it many, many times. She died when I was 10, so in my defense it has been a long time.

She would cook the noodles and slice cheddar cheese. Butter a deep casserole dish. Place a layer of cooked elbow macaroni. Top with a layer of cheese slices. Place a layer of macaroni, top with cheese slices. A layer of macaroni, top with cheese slices. Pour milk on top and bake.
Hers would turn out creamy and delicious, mine turns out separated and gloppy with layers of goopy melted cheese and plain macaroni in hot milk.

Any one use a recipe that has a process similar to hers? I am wondering if she was adding all the ingredients for a béchamel sauce into the milk instead of using just plain milk?
My mom was raised Catholic but did not raise us that way.

We did have fish on Friday quite often though. I still get a craving for fried fish and mashed potatoes!

@wyoDreamer I don't know if this recipe will be exactly like the one you remember, but it's the one my mom always used when we were growing up.

Creamy Mac & Cheese
8 oz. elbow macaroni
2 Tab butter
1/4 Cup AP flour
2 Cups milk
1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
8 oz. cubed processed cheese

1. In a large pot with boiling salted water, cook macaroni until al dente. Drain.
2. In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk flour and stir vigorously. Add milk and cook until thick and bubbly (about 5-7 minutes). Add cheeses and stir until completely melted.
3. In a large bowl mix together the drained pasta and cheese sauce. Toss to coat evenly.
4. Pour into a greased 2 quart casserole dish. Bake in a pre-heated 350* oven for 30 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom