Any Home Bakers Here?

I didn’t know I liked asparagus until my mid-twenties. It’s amazing the kinds of foods we are not exposed to in our youth. I’m just glad I was raised to try something before you stick your nose up.
I’ve only had it steamed though.
I have a nephew who thought he liked asparagus until he visited when my asparagus was ready.

I started the water boiling, picked the asparagus, rinsed it and tossed it in the steamer for 3 minutes. I served it with a little salt and pepper and lots of butter. His comment was "Oh! That's what asparagus is supposed to taste like! I thought I liked it before, WOW!!"

When I have only a couple of spears ready to be picked, I make it with bacon and eggs.

Asparagus and Eggs

1/2 lb. bacon, cut into 1/4" pieces
2 - 3 stalks asparagus, cut into 3/4" to 1" pieces
4 eggs
salt
pepper
cheddar cheese, coarsely grated

Put a little oil in frying pan and heat on medium setting. Place cut up bacon in pan and brown well. Add asparagus pieces and brown for 1 minute. Mix in the eggs, trying to coat the asparagus pieces, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Flip mixture to get both sides cooked well. Top with grated cheese and cover skillet while cheese melts. You may or may not flip the mixture at this time depending on whether you like your cheese browned. Remove from heat and serve hot with buttered toast. Should serve 2 people but some of us are not very sharing.

I have a nephew who thought he liked asparagus until he visited when my asparagus was ready.

I started the water boiling, picked the asparagus, rinsed it and tossed it in the steamer for 3 minutes. I served it with a little salt and pepper and lots of butter. His comment was "Oh! That's what asparagus is supposed to taste like! I thought I liked it before, WOW!!"

When I have only a couple of spears ready to be picked, I make it with bacon and eggs.

Asparagus and Eggs

4 eggs
salt
pepper

Put a little oil in frying pan and heat on medium setting. Place cut up bacon in pan and brown well. Add asparagus pieces and brown for 1 minute. Mix in the eggs, trying to coat the asparagus pieces, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Flip mixture to get both sides cooked well. Top with grated cheese and cover skillet while cheese melts. You may or may not flip the mixture at this time depending on whether you like your cheese browned. Remove from heat and serve hot with buttered toast. Should serve 2 people but some of us are not very sharing.
Thanks for the recipe!

I checked on Saturday, the wild asparagus is not up yet...
I need to go out with heavy gloves and pull the remains of last years plants away so the new sprouts have room to grow straight. Last year I found a new sprout growing straight up the center of a plant from the year before, it had lifted it straight up about 6".

I checked on Saturday, the wild asparagus is not up yet...
I need to go out with heavy gloves and pull the remains of last years plants away so the new sprouts have room to grow straight. Last year I found a new sprout growing straight up the center of a plant from the year before, it had lifted it straight up about 6".
Nice!

Guess what's for dinner!!
full

full
We have wild stuff growing by us but we have to be quick to pick it or someone else gets it.
I didn’t know I liked asparagus until my mid-twenties. It’s amazing the kinds of foods we are not exposed to in our youth. I’m just glad I was raised to try something before you stick your nose up.
I’ve only had it steamed though.
I wish I liked it! One of my boys eats it so I cook it for him. I think it tastes like weeds:oops:

Asparagus and Eggs

4 eggs
salt
pepper

That recipe sounds good, may have to give it a try.

We have wild stuff growing by us but we have to be quick to pick it or someone else gets it.

I wish I liked it! One of my boys eats it so I cook it for him. I think it tastes like weeds:oops:

That recipe sounds good, may have to give it a try.
Sometimes it really does matter how it’s prepared. I only like zucchini if it’s grilled with Italian dressing. Most vegetables have to be steamed or raw for me to like them.

Back
Top Bottom