Any Home Bakers Here?

I just finished frosting cupcakes. I did my 5th trial batch of marble. I finally found one I liked. My sister just got engaged so I’ll be doing her wedding cupcakes in October and she likes marble. I used a whipped buttercream frosting, almost the same as the Waldorf Astoria I made not to long ago. I sent a bunch with my son to work today to get rid of them.

made a goulash rice vermicelli, spam, peas, carrots and seasoning
peas and carrots still had snap in them 002.jpg 003.jpg 005.jpg

Hi there! I bake occasionally at home, and while I don't usually do breads, I do bake a lot of Angel Food Cakes!
For me, I find yeast easiest to help rise if I put it in a bowl on the stove (That way, the warmth of the preheating oven helps the yeast!) It's always worked for me and has never killed it. I would never do it any other way!
As for Angel Food Cakes (And any other item that takes a meringue), getting the meringue down is key. And, it's not as hard as people think (though I have never been able to get a meringue on a pie to NOT weep.. I think our house might be too humid, even on the driest days). Either way! It's important to make sure that you whip the egg whites after they reach room temperature. Also, a bit of cream of tartar never hurts. I wait until the egg-whites get frothy before I add in sugar. And, when adding in sugar, make sure to sprinkle it in gently, not just dump it all in at once. If you do dump it in all at once, you're going to collapse and ruin the meringue. (I made that mistake- twice). I'm not sure if there are other meringue bakers on this thread, or if this advice has already been shared. But, I find it quite reward to pull an angel food cake out of the oven, knowing that I whipped that meringue! It's very satisfying. Well, I hope I haven't just repeated what anyone else has said! Hope I provided some good advice :)

@DigMyChicks congrats on your sister's engagement! Was it the cake marbeling you were testing? What did you end up with that you liked?
Thanks Debby! I was testing the whole cupcake. The marbling part was easy to do but I didn't like the texture of it on any of them. I wanted a cupcake that was moist that didn’t fall apart. I used sour cream, buttermilk, half and half and wasn’t happy with any. This last recipe had just plain milk. The chocolate paste in it was to dry so I know for next time to add more hot water as it didn’t blend well. It also had a reverse mixing order...blended dry ingredients with the butter and it was like a crumbly sand and then add the wet in 3 additions. I will save this recipe. I wish I wasn’t so picky but I am. My son said the guys at work told me I could keep practicing.

Hi there! I bake occasionally at home, and while I don't usually do breads, I do bake a lot of Angel Food Cakes!
For me, I find yeast easiest to help rise if I put it in a bowl on the stove (That way, the warmth of the preheating oven helps the yeast!) It's always worked for me and has never killed it. I would never do it any other way!
As for Angel Food Cakes (And any other item that takes a meringue), getting the meringue down is key. And, it's not as hard as people think (though I have never been able to get a meringue on a pie to NOT weep.. I think our house might be too humid, even on the driest days). Either way! It's important to make sure that you whip the egg whites after they reach room temperature. Also, a bit of cream of tartar never hurts. I wait until the egg-whites get frothy before I add in sugar. And, when adding in sugar, make sure to sprinkle it in gently, not just dump it all in at once. If you do dump it in all at once, you're going to collapse and ruin the meringue. (I made that mistake- twice). I'm not sure if there are other meringue bakers on this thread, or if this advice has already been shared. But, I find it quite reward to pull an angel food cake out of the oven, knowing that I whipped that meringue! It's very satisfying. Well, I hope I haven't just repeated what anyone else has said! Hope I provided some good advice :)
Hi and welcome! I do homemade angel food and pies. I put a gel like addition in my merengue so my weeping isn’t too bad. We like repeat information:DNFC has a list of recipes on the first page of this thread if interested.

Back
Top Bottom