Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    I think it would be great if it was mandatory for every high school student to take a "life skills" class in order to graduate. Have freshmen take it, or even start as early as middle school, try to impress on them as early as possible to plan for their future. Teach them to balance a checkbook, set a budget, find an apartment, shop, and cook. Give them a job title with a salary and grade them on how well they can live within their budget.

When I was in high school, I was not able to take any of the life skills classes that were offered because they were only offered opposite the college prep classes. I gave up my study hall in order to take a basic foods class. It was a real eye opener to see how little my friends knew about cooking. I was the most popular partner in class - since I knew how to cook before taking the class - my partner and I always got an A on the cooking assignments. :)

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  2. cheepteach

cheepteach Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2015
    NY
    I agree!

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    My son wanted to take some electives like art, drafting, food... but if you are going to college, the is no place to wedge it in.
    His friend's school offers seven periods a day. You have to provide your own transportation, but it allows the college bound kids to take some of the electives to round themselves out.

4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Those classes can be taken from

1. 4-h
    2. City classes and programs
    3. Junior colleges
    4. Some places have an adult education program
    5. Co op and other health food store

I probably missed some sources.

5. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    It's so much cheaper (and healthier) to cook at home.

DH told me he went into a ff-place to grab a drink at lunch the other day and noticed their hamburgers were $5 and up, fries were $3 and up. Add that to a drink and tax, you're looking at minimum $10 just for lunch. That all really adds up when a person eats out a lot.

When hamburger is on sale we can buy it for around $4 a pound. Potatoes often go on sale for less than $2 for 5 pounds. More food for more meals and a lot less cash to do our own cooking.

And we don't have to drive some place just to wait in line. That's time and gas saver right there.

Way back in the dark days, Mom & Dad would take our family out for dinner as a special treat. How did that become the norm?

6. cheepteach

Apr 14, 2015
    NY
    you are right--we have become too ready for the quick fix. Everyone is too busy. Both DH and I work, have 2 kids--it takes a bit of organization to be prepared to cook at home--but if I can do it, anyone should be able to! Organization is not easy for me, but it does get a little easier as you go along!

1 person likes this.
  7. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    You're right @cheepteach , it does take some practice.

8. cheepteach

Apr 14, 2015
    NY
    and grocery shopping wouldn't be soooo annoying if the stores stopped re-arranging their aisles just after I memorize where everything I want is!!! LOL

9. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop

I take half a day on Saturdays to prepare for the week ahead--Menu for the week and then a shopping list. I shop at the Grocery outlet and the a Walmart neighborhood store. Costco get hit up last for big and bulk stuff.

10. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    When we moved out here to the middle of nowhere, that helped us get organized, lol. No quick trips to the corner grocery around here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by