Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I would make really neat cakes for my son's birthdays until I realized it made him sad to eat them. Then we went with plain old cakes.
    I think the one that was the most fun was the treasure chest birthday cake. I had the lid open and jewels falling out.
    it was also fun hunting down the different candies to look like jewels.

2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    Completely agree on teaching kids to bake. DH learned to cook eggs at 7 years old - simple, nutritious and tasty. His parents got divorced when he was 9 and his mom had to go back to work. He made himself eggs - fried egg sandwich, scrambled eggs - whenever he was hungry and his mom never had to worry about him going hungry when he got home from school. He still makes the best omelets!

3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    This is very true! Sadly, it is not happening with most kids. Mellenials want pre packaged quick to cook meals--and they expect it to be healthy! Whole Foods announced this week that the were going to build a new line of stores to cater to this.

[​IMG]
    An Uncle of mine was left home for two weeks while his Mom went on vacation. The Uncle did not know how to cook. My Mom heard the Story and made sure that I and my two brothers could cook. She taught us and also sent us to the cooking units through 4-H. We all are the cooks in our families and are all three of us pretty good at it too.

Today I am baking an angel food cake! I baked bread with stone ground whole wheat yesterday using black strap molasses---It is very tasty!

4. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @sunflour , I think I would have liked that movie a whole lot better if I hadn't grown up in KS. Wish I had a nickel for every time I heard a Dorothy, Toto, or land of Oz joke. I'd be a much wealthier person, lol.

Good luck on freezing the egg custard pie, let us know how it works out.

Hats off to you and all other special needs teachers! All good teachers are valuable but the special needs teachers are gold.

There are a lot of pretty darn tasty recipes in this thread so feel free to "steal" any of them you want!

I bet you were an amazing home teacher and your son was lucky to have you for one. And you're right, food is a good way of teaching a lot of lessons like math, science, and self-reliance.

@ronott1 , your stone ground ww bread sounds very good. And of course, the angel food cake! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. cheepteach

cheepteach Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2015
    NY
    there's no difference between a good mom and a good teacher--except the pay$$ ! Being a mom makes me a better teacher, I think.
    My husband loves angel food cake!

As to the millennials who like quick prepackaged food--we do a food experiment in school Kraft Mac and Cheese VS the real deal:
    2 teams, timed, and the results are almost always unanimous (in blind taste-offs) for the real deal.. They learn it's not quicker or better if you just do the right job grocery shopping. The kids love the game-show excitement, and even are involved in making variations--like adding chopped meat---("WOW just like Hamburger Helper" they say) we have fun the kids eat well, and learn something

1 person likes this.
  6. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

7. ceancharles

ceancharles Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2015
    Blanco Texas
    Absolutely!!
    INGREDIENTS

• 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature​
    • 1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar​
    • 1 large egg, at room temperature​
    • 2 cups all-purpose flour​
    • 2 teaspoons baking soda​
    • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt​
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger​
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon​

PREPARATION

• Preheat the oven to 375°F.
    • Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle and beat until smooth and creamy. Add the egg and beat well. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Place the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices in a separate bowl and mix well. Add to the butter mixture and beat until everything is well incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat again.
    • Drop large teaspoonfuls of dough onto an unbuttered cookie sheet about 2 inches apart and bake until the edges are just brown, 8 to 12 minutes. For crispy cookies, let cool on the sheet. Let the cookie sheet cool completely between batches and repeat with the remaining dough.

1 person likes this.
  8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Thank you @ceancharles !

9. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    Oh yummy! I am so going to have to make those.
    That recipe sounds a lot like my Ginger Cookie Recipe - except my recipe uses white sugar and is a cut-out cookie. I have little 1 inch cookie cutters that I use - I usually use the teddy bear cutter and call them Ginger Bear Cookies. DH eats them by the handful. [​IMG]

10. Alice28

Alice28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2014
    Just reading about the kids and cooking. It is pretty shocking how many kids and adults don't know how to cook and how many parents who do know how to cook, dont let their kids help when they want to. Here's my son, who just turned five, making French toast with me this morning. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2015
    3 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by