Any Home Bakers Here?

I agree about the Cool Whip!
In a pinch, I have used Dream Whip ... but still not comparable to real whipped cream.

As a special treat on a hot summer day, I like frozen blueberries with a little cream poured over them. The cream freezes onto the blue berry and they are so yummy. Just make a small amount at a time because as they thaw - they are not as good. I love fresh, sliced strawberries or raspberries with a slightly sweetened cream poured over them. But the blueberries are best when they are frozen and it is hot out.

@Alice28
, thanks for the coconut pie recipe. That's one of our favorites so I'm saving this one to try. :frow

It's really really good! I was so happy with it and I'm pretty picky. I use to work at a bakery that made really good coconut cream pies. I hope you enjoy it.

I agree about the Cool Whip!
In a pinch, I have used Dream Whip ... but still not comparable to real whipped cream.

As a special treat on a hot summer day, I like frozen blueberries with a little cream poured over them.  The cream freezes onto the blue berry and they are so yummy.  Just make a small amount at a time because as they thaw - they are not as good.  I love fresh, sliced strawberries or raspberries with a slightly sweetened cream poured over them.  But the blueberries are best when they are frozen and it is hot out.

Yum! Blueberries and cream. Yummy!

I can't wait to go out to the woods and get huckleberries. I'm gonna be a baking FOOL!!! This week has been really productive with my sourdough experiments, taste is amazing and DD loves it in her lunch.
I also got DD in the kitchen and let her make coconut macaroons. Got the recipe out of a 1947 cook book I just got at a recycling place in town

@ceancharles , your bread looks so good!

Does your DD like to putter around in the kitchen? It's nice for kids to learn how to cook/bake, that's a skill that will come in handy for her on down the road. Love coconut macaroons!

I had my first Macaroon about 3 years ago, a friend had a fresh coconut and made them. They were SO good!
I have tried 2 different recipes for Macaroons, and made Macaroons three times. One turned out really good, one was just OK and the third one was not so good. I have determined that the quality of the coconut really makes a huge difference. Don't use the cheap shredded coconut from the store to make your Macaroons!
How did they turnout ? if they were good, will you share the recipe?

I can't wait to go out to the woods and get huckleberries. I'm gonna be a baking FOOL!!! This week has been really productive with my sourdough experiments, taste is amazing and DD loves it in her lunch. I also got DD in the kitchen and let her make coconut macaroons. Got the recipe out of a 1947 cook book I just got at a recycling place in town
The bread and macaroons look wonderful
yippiechickie.gif

@ceancharles , your bread looks so good!

Does your DD like to putter around in the kitchen? It's nice for kids to learn how to cook/bake, that's a skill that will come in handy for her on down the road. Love coconut macaroons!
She loves to thank God. Got her sewing too! DW came from the era of the out to dinner every single night and if something breaks or whatever buy a new one. I grew up in South Texas with nothing. So I'm glad to pass the skills to her. She can turn a mean wrench too ;)
I had my first Macaroon about 3 years ago, a friend had a fresh coconut and made them. They were SO good!
I have tried 2 different recipes for Macaroons, and made Macaroons three times. One turned out really good, one was just OK and the third one was not so good. I have determined that the quality of the coconut really makes a huge difference. Don't use the cheap shredded coconut from the store to make your Macaroons!
How did they turnout ? if they were good, will you share the recipe?
The recipe came from 1947 Better Homes and Gardens (referred to on BYC for cooking heritage birds before there were "crosses" etc.,)

2 Cups moist shredded coconut
1/2c sweetened condensed milk
1tsp vanilla extract

Combine coconut and milk, add vanilla. Drop from teaspoon 1 inch apart onto greased cookie sheet. Bake in moderate oven (350) 10min or until delicately browned. Remove from sheet at once. Makes 2 dozen.

We got the coconut from the market, really tasty stuff. Not the blue bag stuff on the store shelf for 9 months!

She made brown sugar cookies tonight. I just coached from the side.

Good for your DD! With those cracks on top, those look a lot like a sugar cookie recipe I have only mine just uses white sugar. Bet the brown sugar adds a nice dimension to the taste.

Back
Top Bottom