Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Even if I don't sell them and just make wine, and jam and pies and muffins I will be a happy berry picker.
    I talked to him tonight about it. I said that I will take the bigger half of the biggest green house for my fruits and he can have the small half for his hibiscus, but he has to weed them.
    He was okay with it.

The popper had sausage cream crease artichoke hearts, three cheese and peppers. He sent the leftovers home with us, so the diet won't get very far this week.

The college that Our son is going to Gave him an extra $5,000 grant per year, that made my husband make this huge sigh of relief. It is now cheaper for him to go out of state than stay in state so we are happy.
    The bright futures isn't transferable, so it was good that that happened.

So all in all, It was a good day(And I played with my pet plants today at the nursery, my succulents and violets. That always makes me happy)

2. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    All righty on the fruit plants! Even if they're just for you & family, that's good enough (and they are so good).

I've never had a popper with artichoke hearts in them before, sounds interesting.

Congrats to you, DH & your son on the extra grant! What state is he going to (I'm sure you've already said, but I have the memory of a gnat)?

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Thanks for recipe, got it saved for future. Sounds easier than cutter cookies [​IMG] I really prefer pies :)

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    @3goodeggs Congrats on your son's grant.

Never tried jalapeƱo poppers. I'm not a fan of really hot peppers, but those sound like the stuffing mutes the hot and would be tasty [​IMG]

5. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Last year our jalapenos never did get really hot. They did have a tiny bit of heat to them but not enough to call "hot"...weird. I canned a lot of jalapeno salsa with them and that was tasty.

If you want to make poppers with no heat, you could use small bell peppers.

6. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    We could not buy hot jalapenos either last year. I bet there was a new see used to grow them.

Look for heirloom seeds for them.

7. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I think you're right @ronott1 . Another thing we can't find around here are determinate tomato seeds. Time to look elsewhere.

8. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida

9. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Might? Going from FL to NY? I think getting cold is going to happen.[​IMG]

10. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    Same as my recipe except my recipe calls for 1/2 tsp of cinnamon. And it is the same recipe for Blackberry Pie, just use 1 cup sugar since blackberries are a little more sour.

I have found that the store and pick-your-own blueberries are much jucier than the wild blueberries I normally use. When cooking with bought blueberries I increase the flour in the pie by 2 tablespoons. If your pie seems too juicy and/or not thickened completely then add more flour next time.

When DH and I were still dating, he mentioned that his favorite pie was blueberry. Since I had a bag of wild blueberries in the freezer that I had picked the year before, I made us a blueberry pie for desert one night. His first comment was that his mom always used canned blueberry pie filling. Then after a couple of more bites, he said that mine was so much better and he never wanted canned pie filling again, I told him I didn't even know how to make a pie with store-bought, canned pie filling. lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by