Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Oh no, canned blueberry pie filling is disgusting. So is apple. The cherry isn't horrible, it has it's uses but forget the other ones.

2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    I am hoping that I can get enough cherries from Door County, that I won't need to buy cherry pie filling from the store. I LOVE cherry pie filling.
    I think the best cherry pie I ever had was the sweet cherry pie I made last summer from Bing Cherries.

3. Alice28

Alice28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2014
    [​IMG]
    My son was sick all night, I ended up gettig less then two hours of sleep, but still made the coconut cream pie this morning. I wish I was one of those people who was able to sleep in or take naps, but unfortunately when the sun is up, I'm up even when I get no sleep [​IMG]. I will post the recipe tomorrow. I'm exhausted and can't really focus enough to post the recipe, but wants to share that it's done and yummy and that I'll post it later!

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    @Alice28 hope your son is doing better. The pie looks delicious.

@NorthFLChick after seeing your Blueberry Pie, bought some at Publix, not for a pie, just to eat :) They are from Winter Garden, Fl …not bad, but not great. But after refrigeration for 24 hours noticed a label inside " do not refrigerate" [​IMG] . Grocery had them on refrigeration. I'm a blueberry novice, should they always be kept at room temp, like bananas?

5. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming

@Alice28 , hope you can get some rest tonight and that your son is feeling better soon. Coconut cream pie is one of my favorites! When you can, please share the recipe. Yours looks so good!

@sunflour , I've always refrigerated blueberries but after what your label said, I did a quick look to see what's recommended. Blueberries have a shelf-life of about 2 weeks and should be refrigerated. Don't wash them until you're ready to eat them but do remove any squished, muddy or moldy ones to prevent mold from spreading to the other berries. That's odd about the label on your container, don't know why it says that.

6. ceancharles

ceancharles Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2015
    Blanco Texas
    Now that is cool Ron!!! I think I'm going to get DD to send off and let her get it going. That would be really cool

7. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Enjoy it!

Once you have it let me know and I can post some of the sourdough recipes I have.

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    That's what I thought. Like a dummie I did leave them out since last night, but they are now quite ripe and really sweet, will just have to eat them all today. [​IMG]

Only bought a small package and had eaten some cold….I had missed the part about best at room temp :( But will refrigerate all in the future.

Guess they meant best eaten when room temp or instead of don't should have said do refrigerate and the package manufacturer messed it up?

9. Alice28

Alice28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2014
    My son is all better! Thank god! I slept well last night an am feeling much better today. So onto the coconut cream pie recipe! It turned out amazing!

Coconut Cream Pie

1 cup coconut flakes
    1 1/2 cups heavy cream
    1 can coconut milk
    2 eggs
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/3 cup corn starch
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 9" pie shell
    *(1 1/2 cups heavy cream, sugar to taste and 1tsp vanilla for whipped cream topping. Recipe called for cool whip topping, but I don't know why you would ruin a pie with cool whip when you can make whipped cream and have an amazing pie!)

Preheat oven to 350, spread 1/2 cup coconut on baking sheet. Cook until golden brown. About 5 min stirring occasionally (about every minute. Burns fast so keep an eye on it).

In sauce pan combine heavy cream, eggs, sugar, cornstarch and salt. Bring to a boil over low to medium heat stirring constantly. Make sure it's a true boil. Takes about 20 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir most of the toasted coconut in (leave some to sprinkle on top of whipped cream) and 1/2 cup untoasted coconut and the vanilla.

Pour into cooked pie shell and chill until firm. About 4 hours.

Once chilled, make whipped cream and top the pie with it. Add the rest of the toasted coconut to the top and enjoy!

This was a really good pie. I've never made a cream pie, but decided to try this one! I got it off of allrecipes site. The recipe was a little different then this. In the comments people said to do canned coconut milk and heavy cream. The original recipe just said to do half and half, so it wasn't as coconuty. This was easy and so yummy! Happy I made it and happy I read the comments before making it so I wasn't disappointed! I hope someone else enjoys it as much as I have!

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  10. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @Alice28 , thanks for the coconut pie recipe. That's one of our favorites so I'm saving this one to try. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by