Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Tried out my new muffin pan. Found a photo on line of original recipe that came with the Flower Muffin Pan - so tried it. It called for zest of 2 oranges, but subbed dried orange peel and the ones that turned out are really good and would have been great with fresh grated zest.

But the first batch were pitiful. I did season the pan last night. And followed the recipe to spray with oil. But the pan is quite heavy 7# and I thought placing it on a large baking sheet would make it easier to handle. BIG MISTAKE! That 7 pounder was sliding all over the place til I got DH to help me get it in and out of the oven. First batch didn't brown on bottoms and are edible but ugly. Second batch with the muffin pan directly on oven rack turned out beautiful with great texture. And the pan was easier to lift and maneuver without the underpan.

I over filled the first batch - 3/4 full is hard to judge, so only had a partial second good batch.

Batch # 1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Batch #2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Maybe it's just my family or a GA thing, but I don't remember my grandmother baking anything but biscuits or yeast biscuits. She kept her wooden bowl filled with flour, covered it up with a fabric flour bag and stored it in her pantry. She could mix those biscuits so fast and they were always wonderful.

I inherited the biscuit bowls from both Grandmothers. I have learned to make those without measure, hand mix, shape and bake. But after the first try with a wooden bowl moved both to items of decor and use a ceramic low sided bowl for mine. Although ugly, my biscuits do turn out well, but the mess I create is unbelievable. How they could do this with their hands and so, so neatly without wasting resources or making a big mess baffles me.

3. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    Nice!

Thanks for sharing the tips on using pans like that

4. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I like those, so much more fun that just round muffins. Good job!

5. cheepteach

cheepteach Chirping

Apr 14, 2015
    NY
    beautiful muffins! you can bake individual cakes in that pan, too. They would look so pretty dusted with powdered sugar

6. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    On J Wright site they give a pound cake recipe to try in these, may do that …tonight did a boxed blueberry muffin mix and it is great!

7. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Tried a mix blueberry recipe in my new cast iron muffin pan and they turned out beautiful and tasty..[​IMG]

I plan to be the muffin Queen..:)

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Here you go m'lady, Queen of the Muffins!

[​IMG]

9. cheepteach

cheepteach Chirping

Apr 14, 2015
    NY
    does the Muffin Queen hang out with the Muffin Man?

10. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    You mean the one on Drury Lane?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by