Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    There are a ton of different gingers. They all have different uses. The food one is officinalis. That is the one you will find in the store.
    The others like pine cone ginger, butterfly ginger, bottle brush, and spiral ginger are more for looking at.

Loofah is fun. It will take over and you will have loofah for life, but it is fun. You are supposed to be able to eat the very young fruits, but I have never been that hungry.

I have never tried peppermint for insects. I did, however, plant some snapdragons in my mint hole (versis a mound) yesterday, so that will be interesting to observe.

I need a new title. I think I should be become the 'mastermind of the thread hijackings' or something.
    My brain is all over the place.

I am baking beans today though!
    Something is baking besides my brain. (The rain was nice yesterday though!)

2. cheepteach

cheepteach Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2015
    NY
    we are dying for a good soak here in NY--but we did have frost last night!

Because I work during the day, my baked beans go in the crock pot----the house smells great when I get home

3. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I usually do the crock pot, but I was reading my story country wisdom farm book, and they promised me it would be the best beans ever.
    I love this book. I has everything you have ever wanted to try doing. I get overwhelmed. Then I just do one. Today it is beans in the dutch oven in the oven.( sounds redundant.)
    [​IMG]

My car has been commandeered by the husband, so I am home this week. Might as well do house stuff.

ish.[​IMG]

4. cheepteach

Apr 14, 2015
    NY
    OMG I have seen that book! we were cleaning out a neighbor's shed for her and found a box of books--
    I will have to see if it's around

no transportation=forced drudgery!

5. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Psst, I am really playing on the computer. [​IMG]

6. cheepteach

Apr 14, 2015
    NY
    me too but gotta go --students back from gym

7. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    My mother-in-law gave me that book for Christmas a long time ago. I have flipped through it, but have never had the time to really peruse it. It has a lot of great stuff in there. Now that we are in a situation to start homesteading more, I am sure that book will be dusted off and used.

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Some time during the holidays I noticed a large marshmallow sixe lump of "coal" in my oven and could not imagine what caused that….now I am sure it was spilt pie :)

Guess it was luck this time, but the flood of filling going down the cabinets and on the floor was impressive.[​IMG]

9. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I like that, "impressive". I describe my messes as "amazing", "spectacular" and "awesome". I'll have to add "impressive" to my mess vocabulary, I'm sure I'll have ample opportunity to use it. [​IMG]

10. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Ok, next time I will post a pic.

And was ashamed to photo the pie, it tastes great but looked like leftovers from a nuclear blast..[​IMG]

Except for flour dusting the kitchen floor when baking, I am usually quite OCD about neatness in cooking adventures. But red things are my albatross. I spill or slop anything red - food coloring, tomato sauces, ketchup. Don't know why, but cannot wear white or light clothes when I deal with red food items...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by