Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Anyone have a favorite, easy sweet muffin recipe for cast iron muffin pan?

I got a John Wright flowers cast iron one today at antique/flea market and gotta try it out. Looks unused or at least kept well with TLC.

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    My only advice is to sure to use the bakers grease heavily.
    I got the recipe off of a previous baking thread. 1/3 flour, 1/3 shortening, and 1/3 vegetable oil. Blend it together and keep in the refrigerator. Coat you baking pans with it. Every thing comes out like magic.

3. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I don't have much experience cooking/baking with cast iron. The only piece of it I have is for corn sticks and that's the extent of making anything with cast iron.

When you say "John Wright flowers cast iron", do you mean it shapes the batter like a flower-type muffin? Sorry if that's a dumb question, just curious.

4. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    @NorthFLChick

It's like my Gingerbread cast Iron pan..didn't photo mine but this is what it looks like:

http://www.amazon.com/John-Wright-Baking-Flowers-Muffin/dp/B003BDDSB6

But mine was a lot, cheaper and looks brand new..[​IMG]

Got recipes for John Wright web site and another blog who used a similar pan…will post photos... if they turn out. LOL.

5. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Cool! I'll take a tulip please [​IMG]

6. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    @3goodeggs Thanks,

Guess this is like the PAM baking spray, but thicker? I always wondered why they put flour in it and read it helps cake batter climb the pan?

Some recipe I tried in the past for cake told me to grease the pans and then sprinkle with flour…what a mess. Your recipe mixture sounds a lot neater.

7. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    I have never heard of bakers grease. Now I will have to try it.
    I have a similar pan, only it is silicon and from Pampered Chef - I like yours a lot better.
    That pan would make really cute cupcakes - thinking white cake with strawberry sauce drizzled on top - or even a side of Johnny Cakes (sweet cornbread).
    thought
    I would share another treasure from this old house we bought:
    it has a built-in flour bin, and the bin has a recipe for bread glued inside it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, the previous owner used the bin for dog or cat food and it stinks. I am using it for the recycling for now.

1 person likes this.
  8. cheepteach

cheepteach Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2015
    NY
    Wilton company sells bakers grease for quite a bit of $ and that's all it is-- make sure you grease every nook and cranny on those shaped pans--they will last forever if taken care of! I have some of my grandmother's. Years ago, people were junking them and getting on the non-stick and silicon bandwagon. I love the cast iron.

9. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Such a shame it can't be used..But you have placed it to good use. In my house the mice in garage/basement can access my lower cabinets and would have a fun time with a flour bin..[​IMG]

But whoever built that in sure did a lot of baking. Looks like it would have held 40# of flour?

10. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    My dad was the youngest of 13 kids. His mom made 6 loaves of bread, twice a week or more often sometimes - in a wood oven. They had dessert every night after supper. Dad said she had a flour bin that was hinged along the bottom and tilted forward, and it had a sliding lid to keep out bugs and mice. They used alot of flour back then.
    Of course, they were much more physically active than I am; and the wheat was more nutritious

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by