Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. cheepteach

cheepteach Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2015
    NY
    crystalized ginger is great for digestive issues (and tasty!)

2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    How do you grow ginger? I always buy the smallest piece of fresh ginger I can find because I don't cook with it much - yet. Just learning to add ginger to my cooking...

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I lay a hand in potting soil in a shallow plastic pot or a nursery tray, I have also layered it, deep- middle -and shallow in a three gallon pot, but as it grows it will deform the pot that is why you want plastic. I have had to cut the pots away before.. It likes it moist, so if you have a dripping out door faucet, you can set it there, or set it in a pan of water.
    The fronds are' meh', and the flowers are all but insignificant, When the stalks turn brown they are ready to harvest- but I dig around and break off a piece any time of year when I need some.

Turmeric is fun. The leaves smells wonderful-like ginger- and they are really pretty.
    I have not had them bloom yet. I don't know why that is.
    I run the roots through the juicer and add it to my drinks. (That makes me sound all wholesome and healthy- but I am not. that is why I drink the turmeric)

[​IMG]
    Wow! This is what google says it blooms as! I better take better care of them!
    Maybe I should stop drinking them.

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I found a good you-tube on it.
    I have ebb and flow benches, so Mine get watered from below everyday.

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    When baking first step in lower oven, I made a real mess. It defrosted to liquid and poured half of it out on the oven and down the front of drawers to floor below while moving it to center of oven for second phase of baking…and got a superficial burn on one arm..:( But when finished it was as good as fresh baked..but thin due to the spill.

IMO both pumpkin pie and egg custard can be frozen unbaked, and brought back out of freezer and baked by Original Directions and you cannot tell which is frozen and which is fresh baked.[​IMG]

6. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming

x THREE (I had to spell it out because you can't capitalize a number, you just can't). [​IMG]

7. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @3goodeggs , that was really interesting about growing ginger and turmeric.

DH will mix turmeric with honey when he has a sore throat but I've never thought about growing some.

Some neighbor gave me a big piece of ginger from their yard once to plant. I think I used some of it for cooking and the rest mummified. She also gave me a dried loofa gourd to plant the seeds from...I didn't. She told me to use a peppermint mixture to spray bugs, but that didn't happen either. Funny, I haven't seen that neighbor for some time now.

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Here you go, I got you a couple little presents to thank you for the baking research:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I always have a mop and a bandaid handy in the kitchen, lol.

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Thank you so much…..at least it didn't hit the oven so don't have to clean it…LOL.

10. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    Lucky! If it would have been me, I would have managed to spill it all over both sides, the bottom, the top and back.

Last edited: May 15, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by