Any Home Bakers Here?

How do you grow ginger? I always buy the smallest piece of fresh ginger I can find because I don't cook with it much - yet. Just learning to add ginger to my cooking...

I lay a hand in potting soil in a shallow plastic pot or a nursery tray, I have also layered it, deep- middle -and shallow in a three gallon pot, but as it grows it will deform the pot that is why you want plastic. I have had to cut the pots away before.. It likes it moist, so if you have a dripping out door faucet, you can set it there, or set it in a pan of water.
The fronds are' meh', and the flowers are all but insignificant, When the stalks turn brown they are ready to harvest- but I dig around and break off a piece any time of year when I need some.

Turmeric is fun. The leaves smells wonderful-like ginger- and they are really pretty.
I have not had them bloom yet. I don't know why that is.
I run the roots through the juicer and add it to my drinks. (That makes me sound all wholesome and healthy- but I am not. that is why I drink the turmeric)

How-to-Grow-Turmeric.jpg

Wow! This is what google says it blooms as! I better take better care of them!
Maybe I should stop drinking them.

@NorthFLChick

Got my frozen egg custard pie in oven….will let you know how it turns out.
When baking first step in lower oven, I made a real mess. It defrosted to liquid and poured half of it out on the oven and down the front of drawers to floor below while moving it to center of oven for second phase of baking…and got a superficial burn on one arm..:( But when finished it was as good as fresh baked..but thin due to the spill.

IMO both pumpkin pie and egg custard can be frozen unbaked, and brought back out of freezer and baked by Original Directions and you cannot tell which is frozen and which is fresh baked.
bun.gif

so while I was doing a search for cowboy candy, I found crystallized ginger. Have any of you done that?
I love to grow it, but I never get it all used before it starts to dry out and I quickly replant it... which is why I have so much of it.

and... I buy my crystallized ginger.
hide.gif

The whole ginger ale for glazed carrots got me all excited for glazed carrots and ginger.

Okay, yea, it does not take much to excite me.
Which, when you think about it, that's a good thing.
Life has not yet jaded me.

But truthfully, people have. I am sometimes just worn out by people.
I just want you all to know how nice it is to find people like you all.
You are good people and sometime we get so blindsided by the jerks in the world that we forget to see all the really great people not being jerks.
So
blessings and hugs and laughter and good cheer to all of you!

confetti.gif

X2 Very well stated..
hugs.gif

x THREE (I had to spell it out because you can't capitalize a number, you just can't).
hugs.gif

@3goodeggs , that was really interesting about growing ginger and turmeric.

DH will mix turmeric with honey when he has a sore throat but I've never thought about growing some.

Some neighbor gave me a big piece of ginger from their yard once to plant. I think I used some of it for cooking and the rest mummified. She also gave me a dried loofa gourd to plant the seeds from...I didn't. She told me to use a peppermint mixture to spray bugs, but that didn't happen either. Funny, I haven't seen that neighbor for some time now.

When baking first step in lower oven, I made a real mess. It defrosted to liquid and poured half of it out on the oven and down the front of drawers to floor below while moving it to center of oven for second phase of baking…and got a superficial burn on one arm..:( But when finished it was as good as fresh baked..but thin due to the spill.

IMO both pumpkin pie and egg custard can be frozen unbaked, and brought back out of freezer and baked by Original Directions and you cannot tell which is frozen and which is fresh baked.
bun.gif

Here you go, I got you a couple little presents to thank you for the baking research:

I always have a mop and a bandaid handy in the kitchen, lol.

Back
Top Bottom